Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

MacBook Pro 14' (2021) restarts when closing the lid

My MacBook has been restarting by itself when its lid gets closed, for a while now. It has been quite frustrating and I'd decided to look into it, but still can't figure out the reason.

The issue persists both when laptop runs on battery and when it's plugged into power adapter.

As far as I could tell, when MBP is plugged in, it keeps on restarting every 20-21 minutes until i plug the cable off, providing this annoying macOS startup sound. If it runs on battery, it only reboots once the moment lid gets opened.

When the system restarts, no panic message is being shown, the only thing reminiscent of something wrong happening are the ResetCounter-<timestamp>.diag files, which all look like so:

{"os_version":"macOS 14.4.1 (23E224)","bug_type":"115","timestamp":"2024-04-28 09:58:46.00 +0300","name":"Reset count","roots_installed":0,"incident_id":"9105F79D-8680-4D74-9392-59CE341538CD"}
Incident Identifier: 9105F79D-8680-4D74-9392-59CE341538CD
CrashReporter Key:   55612C6E-A267-19AE-ED57-A080DCB76B45
Date: 2024-04-28 09:58:46.43 +0300
Reset count: 0
Boot failure count: 1
Boot faults: btn_shdn,btn_shutdown
Boot stage: 0x50
Boot app: 0
socId: 6000
socRevision: 21

Boot fault on btn_shutdown seems dubious, and I couldn't really find any information online about what this even is supposed to mean...

I've tried:

1) Booting into safe mode

2) Changing hibernatemode to 0 in pmset

3) Running Apple Hardware Test (resulted in "There may be an issue with System Management Controller", Ref. code: IMU001)

4) Repairing disk

5) Updating MacOS to latest release (14.4.1)

None of the above helped with the matter. The only thing that leaves some sort of clue to what's happening is the Hardware Test result, but AFAIK IMU001 is an error related to accelerometer/gyroscope, which frankly seems almost unrelated to the case, and I couldn't find any similar issues online.

What could be causing such a weird behaviour? Haven't ever encountered any problems related to my MBP, but this one seems persistent and is honestly quite frustrating.

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Apr 28, 2024 3:58 AM

5 replies

Apr 28, 2024 4:19 AM in response to lemopsone

..lemopsone..

Perhaps look into some general-to-specific support options

might be another direction to go with that intel-based Mac.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

//www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/ [hardware + software topics]

This can be useful in a few different ways.

Best of luck in contacting Apple!

(PS: for more detailed report you

may try free version EtreCheck.)

Apr 28, 2024 8:34 AM in response to lemopsone

Start with this...

Delete these files & restart...

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.logi.ghub.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.logi.ghub.updater.plist

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.wacom.wacomtablet.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/homebrew.mxcl.postgresql@14.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.lwouis.alt-tab-macos.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/homebrew.mxcl.php.plist

~ tilde indicates your home folder

Apple hid the Users' Library folders...

Method 1:

1From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.

2In the window that opens, enter ~/Library, and click Go.

Apr 28, 2024 4:42 AM in response to lemopsone

I've ran Etrecheck, and it found that my system experienced two kernel panics today:

2024-04-28 09:21:04 Kernel Panic (2 times)
        First occurrence: 2024-04-28 04:10:43
        Details:
            Unexpected SoC (system) watchdog reset occurred during sleep\/wake tra
            nsition

Here's full report text:

MacBook Pro 14' (2021) restarts when closing the lid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.