Can I use my old MacBook AS WELL AS my new MacBook?

I just bought a new MacBook Pro. I want to use the old one when I work with elders to show things on YouTube to them (as a traveling computer). I will do all my usual functions at home on the new one. Is this possible?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Apr 28, 2024 4:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2024 7:15 AM

You just have to be careful about setting up the new computer. Don't use Time Machine or Migration Assistant to setup the new computer. That is only when you are replacing and moving all of your data.

Instead, make sure all of your information is in iCloud. Then, when you sign into the new computer, just turn on iCloud.

The problem is that there are some identifiers in your home directory that uniquely identify your account. If you copy your home directory to a new computer, then there are two copies of that same, formerly-unique identifier. That will break some handoff and continuity features, and likely iCloud Keychain. But if you use iCloud, you'll get a new unique identifier.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2024 7:15 AM in response to pola114

You just have to be careful about setting up the new computer. Don't use Time Machine or Migration Assistant to setup the new computer. That is only when you are replacing and moving all of your data.

Instead, make sure all of your information is in iCloud. Then, when you sign into the new computer, just turn on iCloud.

The problem is that there are some identifiers in your home directory that uniquely identify your account. If you copy your home directory to a new computer, then there are two copies of that same, formerly-unique identifier. That will break some handoff and continuity features, and likely iCloud Keychain. But if you use iCloud, you'll get a new unique identifier.

Can I use my old MacBook AS WELL AS my new MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.