Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Using VoiceOver with Personal Voice

I'd like to use VoiceOver on my MacBook Pro but it talks very fast no matter what I set the speed to. I've set up my Personal Voice but that doesn't seem to be available for VoiceOver .

What am I missing?

TIA

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 28, 2024 9:42 AM

5 replies

May 3, 2024 11:09 PM in response to fabs64

While we look for a better solution:

would it help to temporarily pause VoiceOver whenever you wish,

(Eg: Pause at the end of a sentence or two) ... and then resume when ready:

To pause or resume speech on your Mac, do one of the following:

• Press the Control key.
  • When the VoiceOver modifier is the Caps Lock key, press that key.
  • When the Trackpad Commander is on tap with two fingers on the trackpad.

Above comes from: Pause or mute VoiceOver on Mac - Apple Support

Re: What am I missing?

Am wondering which MacBook Pro model you are using,

(If needed: How to: Identify your MacBook Pro model - Apple Support)

and

which MacOS version is installed. (Above article lists the "Newest Compatible MacOs version")

Eg: If appropriate: you might want to try updating the current version, or upgrading to a later MacOS version, if a compatible version for your Mac Model is available.

Re: Speaking rate adustment:

• Also: There's info on the VoiceOver modifier & the speaking rate settings in the article below:

(You can choose the correct MacOS version at the top of the article for accurate info.)

For MacOS 14: Change VoiceOver voice settings on Mac - Apple Support

May 1, 2024 9:55 PM in response to fabs64

Hi fabs64,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community!

Re: "Using VoiceOver with Personal Voice :

I've set up my Personal Voice but that doesn't seem to be available for VoiceOver" .

Am no expert in this area, yet your question surely deserves some response

Wondering if Apple Support's online article may help:

Change Personal Voice settings for accessibility on Mac - Apple Support

Eg: says:

"Personal Voice can be used only with Live Speech and with third-party apps that you allow, such as Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) apps".

Re: I'd like to use VoiceOver on my MacBook Pro but it talks very fast no matter what I set the speed to.

Apple support has an article: Customize VoiceOver with VoiceOver Utility on Mac - Apple Support

or

Wondering if you have seen the useful VoiceOver User Guide for Mac

VoiceOver User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

For help with Apple's Accessibility features:

You may want to contact Apple's Accessibility Support Team:

How to contact Apple for accessibility support - Apple Support

To provide feedback about an accessibility feature on an Apple product, you can email the Accessibility team: accessibility@apple.com.

All the best :-)

May 2, 2024 9:53 AM in response to brbo

Thanks for your reply.

I've already accepted that I can't use personal voice for VoiceOver, but I still can't understand why VoiceOver speaks so fast no matter which speed I set it to.

Also, I'm also unable to add apps to allow them to use personal voice as nothing happens when I click "+"

May 2, 2024 3:50 PM in response to fabs64

Sometimes restarting Mac can restore order if things are not working as expected:

Apple Menu > Restart : wait for Mac to restart, and then log back in.

(Eg: Deletes temporary files, re-establishes connections, may update recent changes)

Re: I still can't understand why VoiceOver speaks so fast no matter which speed I set it to.

Wondering which settings you are using to set the speed:

Eg: Try checking : Apple Menu > System Settings > Accessibility > Spoken Content

You may need to experiment with adjusting the slider gently in small increments:

Re: "I'm also unable to add apps to allow them to use personal voice as nothing happens when I click "+" "

You may use personal voice with Live Speech already ... seems it's the only Apple app.

To have apps available that you could add: You would need to have downloaded some third-party apps such as Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) apps.

To allow those apps to use the Microphone (and maybe Camera too ?)

Apple menu > System Settings > Privacy and Security > Microphone : turn on

Also: Those third-party apps may need to request ("ask"), or be given permission (allow") in Safari to use your Mac's microphone (and maybe camera too?):

Eg: Safari > Settings > Websites > Microphone (also : same with Camera if needed)

Using VoiceOver with Personal Voice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.