Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Discrepancy in Image Size After Converting HEIC to JPEG

I encountered an issue while downloading photos in different formats and would appreciate some insights.

I captured two photos: one in the default high-efficiency format (HEIC) and the other in JPG (by changing the setting on my iPhone). When I downloaded the unmodified versions of both photos, they both had identical dimensions: 4284 x 5712 pixels.

However, when I downloaded the same files in the "most compatible" JPEG format, I noticed a significant discrepancy. The photo originally taken in JPEG format retained its original dimensions of 4284 x 5712 pixels. On the other hand, the HEIC photo, upon conversion to JPEG, experienced a drastic reduction in size (>50%) - 1536 x 2048.

I understand that there may be some loss in quality during the conversion process, but it's perplexing why the HEIC photo's size would be reduced by over 50%. Could someone shed some light on this issue?

Thank you for your assistance.

Luka

Posted on Apr 28, 2024 11:19 AM

1 reply

Discrepancy in Image Size After Converting HEIC to JPEG

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.