Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

My intel Mac is acting up & I’m so sad and scared 😭😭

Please what’s wrong with my 2020 intel MacBook core i3 currently running on Ventura

Hy guys,

So last year September, my mum made a mistake of buying an intel Mac instead of the M1 cause she didn’t really know the difference. I’ve been using it since then I haven’t really had any issues with it ; it’s fast & it only gets warm when I have too many apps open. However, recently when I’m working it is would freeze(for like 10 seconds)& restart. This has happened twice in the span of 3 months. Also, today when I tried to use it for something it refused to come in until I plugged it in ( the battery wasn’t low) .

Please I would really love your input on this matter . I really like my laptop and I don’t have any money to upgrade to the m2 / m1/m3

Thank you for your time .

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Apr 28, 2024 12:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2024 12:25 PM

That sounds like a kernel panic. Do you get a message when it restarts indicating it had to restart because of a problem?

Look in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports for a file whose name starts with Kernel.

If there is one, open it, copy the text, and paste it into the Additional Text area in a reply. The button looks like a document icon.

Have you added any new hardware or system modifications?

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2024 12:25 PM in response to tochi145

That sounds like a kernel panic. Do you get a message when it restarts indicating it had to restart because of a problem?

Look in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports for a file whose name starts with Kernel.

If there is one, open it, copy the text, and paste it into the Additional Text area in a reply. The button looks like a document icon.

Have you added any new hardware or system modifications?

Apr 30, 2024 1:19 AM in response to tochi145

Two cents here and from the same Etrecheck Report

The computer is running macOS Ventura 13.0.1 (22A400)

That version was released Nov 9, 2022

Current version of Venture is 13.6.6

About the security content of macOS Ventura 13.6.6

There are many Bug Fixes since Nov 2022 and may improve overall performance of the computer

The report is also showing

Color LCD (built-in) 2880 x 1800

Which is beyond the supported Scaling supported by this computer

You may consider dropping the scaling down to something the computer supports

MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2020) - Technical Specifications

• Supported scaled resolutions: 
    • 1680 by 1050
    • 1440 by 900
    • 1024 by 640

Apr 29, 2024 5:40 PM in response to tochi145

From the EtreCheck report, here is what I would recommend:

• Upgrade to Sonoma
  • You have the minimum amount of RAM which is 8GB, and in my opinion I would not use Google Chrome and switch to Safari. Chrome is a resource hog and you do not have much to give away and along with that it has 3 processes in your Launch Agents folder that attempt to run on startup. Along with removing Chrome, I would also remove those files as well. You can find these files by going to Finder > Go > Go to Folder, and pasting "~/Library/LaunchAgents" in there. Of course this is without quotes and make sure to include the initial "~" character. The 3 files I would remove are:
  1. com.google.GoogleUpdater.wake.plist
  2. com.google.keystone.agent.plist
  3. com.google.keystone.xpcservice.plist
  • The speed of your HD seems to be slow for some reason, but there is no indication of any software installed that would be causing that. The HD will see increase use when the RAM runs low due to multiple apps being open.

Overall your system looks like it is in good shape and there is nothing that stands out that should be giving you problems. If you do remove Chrome and the related files like I recommend, you can always install it again if it makes no difference. Don't forget to update to Sonoma. There have been no kernel panics reported recently, but an app can crash without producing a kernel panic, so try and make note if you experience trouble with a particular app. With the minimum of 8GB of RAM, it will put a strain on the system with multiple apps open at the same time. The system will try and make up for the lack of RAM by saving a portion of it to your Hard Drive.

Restarting in Safe Mode is also a good troubleshooting step that will clear system caches and prevent third party files from loading on startup. You can then restart again normally and compare if you notice any difference while in Safe Mode.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

May 1, 2024 3:18 PM in response to tochi145

So that we don't have to rotate our monitors 90º to view your photos learn how to make a screenshot as follows:

u 

(⌘⬆︎3) Command-Shift-3         Capture the screen to a file

(⌘⬆︎⌃3) Command-Shift-Control-3 Capture the screen to the Clipboard

(⌘⬆︎4) Command-Shift-4         Capture a selection to a file

(⌘⬆︎⌃4) Command-Shift-Control-4 Capture a selection to the Clipboard

(⌘⬆︎5) Command-Shift-5         Invoke new screen grabber

Apr 29, 2024 1:57 PM in response to tochi145

Post the free EtreCheck report using the Additional Text option when posting. After running the report, click the Share Report Button on top and Copy to Clipboard. You will then be able to paste the report into the Additional Text box here. This report does not provide any personal information, but will show what is running on startup and well as some diagnostic logs that may be helpful to determine the cause of your problem.

Using EtreCheck - Apple Community

Apr 30, 2024 4:30 PM in response to tochi145

Go to  > System Settings > Displays. The only thing that will happen is that everything will appear bigger and you lose some screen real estate when you lower the resolution. You should really consider the OS update. The current version of Ventura you have is only 13.0.1 and the current version is 13.6.6 providing many bug fixes as well as security updates. I do suggest updating to Sonoma, but updating Ventura only is possible by going to the App Store and searching for Ventura, although it can be tricky.

Apr 29, 2024 2:15 PM in response to tochi145

tochi145 wrote:

Thank you for responding. Firstly, no I do not receive a message that it restarted because of an issue. When I looked in logs this is what I saw
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/a48af57d-88f8-407c-8e81-dbbba798cd2b

Those aren’t the logs. That’s the System Information report. Did you look in the folder I suggested?.

Apr 29, 2024 4:00 PM in response to tochi145

This is all I saw under the diagnostics report

Sometimes, it doesn't write the panic log. Or, it may not be a panic. EtreCheck will check for panics, but I don't know how. It may be the same as me, just looking in that directory. Since you also do not get the message that it was forced to restart, I'm not quite sure what is going on.

Your EtreCheck report doesn't show anything I would consider an issue, either.

My intel Mac is acting up & I’m so sad and scared 😭😭

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.