What version of final cut pro analyzed for excessive shake

Just curious. No real problem to solve, but I'd really like to know.

Is there a version of Final Cut that included excessive shake in its analysis function? I could swear I remember it from previous use, and I found it in one of the user guides recently, but I have looked far and wide today and cannot find it. Is there a user guide where excessive shake is one of the "Video and still-image analysis options"? And a link to it?

TIA!

iMac 24″

Posted on Apr 28, 2024 2:38 PM

9 replies

May 2, 2024 9:48 PM in response to fox_m

Well, I found something. Apparently, 10.0.6 has stabilization of "excessive shake" on its "Analyze and Fix" menu, i.e., one of the "video options".

In the 10.0.6 user guide, it's first on the list of "Video and still-image analysis options"

in the doc

https://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/mac/10.0.6/#verb6acc101

But it's in a very different font and style than the user guides for recent versions of FCP. I could have sworn I was looking at a doc of a more recent version of FCP with the same font and style of recent versions of FCP, and that it was 3rd or 4th in the list. Maybe Apple took it down between then and when I last looked.

I never had version 10.0.6 of FCP, BTW. The first version I had was 10.2.2.

Now, I found some Excessive Shake keywords or tags or whatever in a current library.

asfd

zxcv

The figure above is a screenshot of a portion of the FCP window for my main movie, TGR, open in FCP 10.6.8 (before dust and scratch removal!). It also has the purple lines, and I don't know how the Excessive Shake icons, the purple lines and keywords/tags/whatevers got there and when. Perhaps it was all the way back from iMovie9? I'm dam near certain that I not was working on this project at that time. At that time, I was working with the print, not the master. Here (above) it is from the master version.

So I don't know how the Excessive Shake and the purple lines got there if the online docs are right. And I'd also like to know how I can make a smart collection to find all the clips that have the Excessive Shake label/tag/keyword/whatever/.

Again, I'm just curious how this all happened.

TIA!

May 2, 2024 10:13 PM in response to betaneptune

Well, I found something. Apparently, 10.0.6 has stabilization of "excessive shake" on its "Analyze and Fix" menu, i.e., one of the "video options".

In the 10.0.6 user guide, it's first on the list of "Video and still-image analysis options"

in the doc

https://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/mac/10.0.6/#verb6acc101

But it's in a very different font and style than the user guides for recent versions of FCP. I could have sworn I was looking at a doc of a more recent version of FCP with the same font and style of recent versions of FCP, and that it was 3rd or 4th in the list. Maybe Apple took it down between then and when I last looked.

I never had version 10.0.6 of FCP, BTW. The first version I had was 10.2.2.

Now, I found some Excessive Shake keywords or tags or whatever in a current library.

asfd

zxcv

The figure above is a screenshot of a portion of the FCP window for my main movie, TGR, open in FCP 10.6.8 (before dust and scratch removal!). It also has the purple lines, and I don't know how the Excessive Shake icons, the purple lines and keywords/tags/whatevers got there and when. Perhaps it was all the way back from iMovie9? I'm dam near certain that I not was working on this project at that time. At that time, I was working with the print, not the master. Here (above) it is from the master version.

So I don't know how the Excessive Shake and the purple lines got there if the online docs are right. And I'd also like to know how I can make a smart collection to find all the clips that have the Excessive Shake label/tag/keyword/whatever/.

Also! The "keyword" "Excessive Shake" does not show up in the LHS sidebar under the event the clip is in.

Again, I'm just curious how this all happened.

TIA!

Apr 28, 2024 6:19 PM in response to fox_m

Oops. I may have not been clear enough. There is a function where you import and analyze, and Final Cut automatically analyzes the clip for color balance, people, close-up vs. medium shot vs. long shot. I could swear that in some version of Final Cut that list included Excessive Shake. It would be under Video Analysis Options or Video and still-image analysis options in the user guide. But I can't find it again.

Example: You can see below that the "import and analyze" function checks for color balance, removes pulldown, finds people, consolidates find people results, and creates a Smart Collection after the analysis. I could swear I found a user guide that also listed Excessive Shake, and even compared it with one that doesn't. In particular, it would slap on the keyword "excessive shake" or similar to clips with it. So which version of Final Cut does? I've been hunting and hunting, but to no avail. TIA

asdf

zxcv

May 6, 2024 3:01 AM in response to Alchroma

Still can't figure out what happened. I have 10.4.4 and I 10.4.6 in backups, but have no machine I can run them on. (I'm guessing they're 32-bit .app files, which won't run on Monterey.) The machine I did use to run them (had Mojave on it) is now broken. Its Fusion drive (hard drive portion) broke, and I did use it for a while from just its SSD and an external SSD before I noticed this issue, but it is no not booting. Efforts to fix it have failed. And something bad happened to the SSD. I think it got too hot once.

Anyway, where did these "Excessive Shake" "keywords" come from? TIA.

So does anyone here have access to a working 10.4.x? If you do, can you check the Analyze and Fix menu to see if it lists Excessive Shake or Stabilization? TIA!

Actually, any version between 10.2.2 and 10.4.6 would be good.

May 9, 2024 9:28 PM in response to betaneptune

REPORT:

Well, I found that at least 10.0.3, 10.0.6, and 10.0.9 (and in-between versions?) and possibly 10.1.1 has stabilization in Analyze and Fix, but starting with 10.1.2, not so. Yet "Excessive Shake" was still one of the categories available in the Smart Collection dialog pane as late as 10.5.1. Definitely dropped by 10.5.3. All this except 10.1.x is from online user guides.

The earliest version I had was 10.2.2. I finished this movie in 10.4.6. The clip above is a screenshot of an FCP 10.6.8 session. So where did the Excessive Shake analysis keywords come from? (These clips were never in iMovie, BTW.)

Yes, it's not a problem: I'm just curious. But there is a loss of functionality. Sure, you can use the Stabilization panel in the Video Inspector, but you can't now have Final Cut tell you which parts of which clips it considers to be in need of stabilization. Not a real biggie, but I am still curious as to what happened here.

Anyway, any enlightenment on this is welcome. TIA!

What version of final cut pro analyzed for excessive shake

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.