Is Apple Music playing losslessly of if I use an macbook as an Airplay receiver?

I noticed on my dac the bitrate received from the Wiim Pro dropped from 192khz to 44.1khz when using Airplay, which prompted some googling. I learned Airplay uses 256kb/s stream, which frankly sucks. So much for convenient hi-fi.

My workaround is using a macbook into the same dac via usb. I learned that one has to set the bitrate manually in the midi settings for it to send high res audio, so everything seemingly is upsampled to 192khz. The dac does display this figure when Mac is connected. It sounds by all means good, but is it the full potential?

The trouble now is I have no way to confirm what the stream from Apple Music actually is. And I would like to use Airplay to control the Mac, as it is by far the most user friendly, much more than Remote.

But I really want to know if this method sends the lossless and highres streams to the dac, or is this also downgraded to lossy streams?

MacBook (2017)

Posted on Apr 28, 2024 3:00 PM

2 replies

Jun 16, 2024 1:57 AM in response to neftun

I think the OP's question concerns the quality of the music sent from an iPhone to a Mac. Even if the Mac always outputs audio in uncompressed hi-res, the output can only contain as much actual information as the input.

The following articles may be of interest. It sounds like what they're saying is that the current iPhone Apple Music app will limit streaming to 256 Kbps AAC quality when streaming to an AirPlay 2 endpoint – like a Mac operating as an AirPlay Receiver.

Does Airplay 2 support Hi-Res Lossless st… - Apple Community

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/apple-homepod-24-bit-lossless-audio-airplay-2/

https://darko.audio/2023/10/apple-airplay-isnt-always-lossless-sometimes-its-lossy/

Is Apple Music playing losslessly of if I use an macbook as an Airplay receiver?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.