Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

External HD going to sleep

I have recently updated to 13.6.6 on my M1 Mac Mini now my external G raif drive keeps going to sleep (didn't before I updated)

Energy power settings are set not to put HDs to sleep.

Happening when using FCPX with the drive.

Is this a known issue or happened recently to others?

Posted on Apr 29, 2024 4:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2024 4:55 AM

Because it is a production machine and always an OS or two behind.

8 replies

Apr 30, 2024 8:52 AM in response to marc smith6

Just to update anyone who has a similar problem with HDs ging to sleep I have fixed the problem.

This is thanks to Matt.sbc over on another forum he spoke to Apple support and they suggested that he try and first boot up in Safe Mode and then back to normal and it fixed the problem on his machine.

I did this and it fixed my issue the HD doesn't go to sleep now.

Apr 30, 2024 9:32 AM in response to hcsitas

It's not 'whateves' I was telling you the reality of what works and what does not and the setting you mentioned doesn't have any bearing on the problem. It was clearly just information so other don't make the same mistake by trying. I've since turned that setting on and nothing has happened all is working OK.

If you look at my reply to the original question the problem was with the M1 Mac so rebooting in Safe Mode fixed the problem.

I appreciate you taking the time to try and help initially however those steps haven't affected my problem

Thanks

External HD going to sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.