Ken Burns Aspect Ratio doesn't change with Project aspect ratio

I'm doing multi cam editing of a concert. I use Ken Burn effect on most clips, to make a subtle movement for the otherwise static cameras. I'm using timelines that are either 3840x2160 or 2160x2160 to keep the pixel quality.

Now, I need to deliver two versions - one in 16:9 for Youtube and one 1:1 for SoMe.

I make my edits in one project timeline (fx 1:1) and then I duplicate the project into a new one and changes the aspect ratio to the other type (16:9). The only problem is - the Ken Burns aspect ratio stays in the old aspect ratio (1:1)! It sticks to be 1:1 in a 16:9 timeline or vise versa.

I have tried duplicating in different ways - duplicate a project, duplicate the clips into a new project, using smart conform. None of this makes the Ken Burns aspect ratio to mirror the new project size.

For now my only work around is to put a new multi cam clip on the timeline and making all the edits all over again. Which is double the work.

Any help on this?

Thanks! :-)

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 29, 2024 11:33 AM

1 reply

Apr 29, 2024 11:49 AM in response to Tigerdyr13

Maybe the problem is not with Ken Burns per se, but rather the Spatial Conform of the clips?

If you have a 16:9 clip inside a 1:1 timeline, by default ("Fit") there will be a lot of black at the top and bottom.

Similarly if you do it the other way around, you will have black bars on the sides.

You may want to change the Spatial Conform to Fill or None, and see how that works for you.

Ken Burns Aspect Ratio doesn't change with Project aspect ratio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.