Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

I received an email that said I've been hacked

I received a message from my own mailbox - what do I do?????

Hello pervert, I've sent this message from your iCloud mail. 

I want to inform you about a very bad situation for you. However, you can benefit from it, if you will act wisеly.

Have you heard of Pegasus? This is a spyware program that installs on computers and smartphones and allows hackers to monitor the activity of device owners. It provides access to your webcam, messengers, emails, call records, etc. It works well on Android, iOS, and Windows. I guess, you already figured out where I’m getting at.

It’s been a few months since I installed it on all your devices because you were not quite choosy about what links to click on the intеrnеt. During this period, I’ve learned about all aspects of your private life, but one is of special significance to me.

I doubt you’d want your friends, family and co-workers to know about it. However, I can do it in a few clicks.

Every number in your contact list will suddenly receive these vidеоs– on WhatsApp, on Telegram, on Instagram, on Facebook, on email – everywhere. It is going to be a tsunami that will sweep away everything in its path, and first of all, your fоrmеr life.

Don’t think of yourself as an innocent victim. No one knows where your реrvеrsiоn might lead in the future, so consider this a kind of deserved рunishmеnt to stop you.

I’m some kind of God who sees everything. However, don’t panic. As we know, God is merciful and forgiving, and so do I. But my mercy is not free.

Transfer 800 USD to my Litecoin (LTC) wallet: ltc1q0sfhklq82kxps8kpx7e4el538jf6rs6h3x34ta

Once I receive confirmation of the transaction, I will permanently delete all videos compromising you, uninstаll Pegasus from all of your devices, and disappear from your life. You can be sure – my benefit is only money. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be writing to you, but destroy your life without a word in a second.

I’ll be notified when you open my email, and from that moment you have exactly 48 hours to send the money. If cryptocurrencies are unchartered waters for you, don’t worry, it’s very simple. Just google “crypto exchange” or "buy Litecoin" and then it will be no harder than buying some useless stuff on Amazon.

I strongly warn you against the following:

* Do not reply to this email. I've sent it from your iCloud mail.

* Do not contact the police. I have access to all your devices, and as soon as I find out you ran to the cops, videos will be published.

* Don’t try to reset or destroy your devices. As I mentioned above: I’m monitoring all your activity, so you either agree to my terms or the vidеоs are published.

Also, don’t forget that cryptocurrencies are anonymous, so it’s impossible to identify me using the provided address.

Good luck, my perverted friend. I hope this is the last time we hear from each other.

And some friendly advice: from now on, don’t be so careless about your online security.

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 29, 2024 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2024 2:00 AM

Yeah they scare me so bad.. oooooh my gawd, I sent the money right away… jk Im on the DevTeam… it’s not even a guy anyway. After i got through her Smoke show of VPN’s , i found her IP address & had a Peak. Little Asian Lady sending them out from her Laptop in Delaware of all places. Anyway see you guys

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2024 2:00 AM in response to LaAlguien

Yeah they scare me so bad.. oooooh my gawd, I sent the money right away… jk Im on the DevTeam… it’s not even a guy anyway. After i got through her Smoke show of VPN’s , i found her IP address & had a Peak. Little Asian Lady sending them out from her Laptop in Delaware of all places. Anyway see you guys

Apr 29, 2024 1:03 PM in response to LaAlguien

It's a scam for sure! Anyone can spoof the email address to make it look like it is yours and that does not mean they have access to your account, and no they did not sent it from your account. They are just trying to scare you into giving them money. Just delete and move on with your day. That won't be the last scam email you get, we all get them. Some people will fall for it and that is why they continue to do what they do.

May 14, 2024 7:01 AM in response to Arowan123

Arowan123 wrote:

Did anything happen? I received this same email. I reset my password, and looked in my sent and deleted items to see if the email really was sent from my account. I couldn't find it anywhere. I'm not worried about the videos they mention in the email because I can assure you there are none of the videos described; however, I obviously don't want any videos sent to my contacts.

PLEASE read the rest of the posts in the thread you just added to.

May 14, 2024 7:04 AM in response to Arowan123

Arowan123 wrote:

Did anything happen? I received this same email. I reset my password, and looked in my sent and deleted items to see if the email really was sent from my account. I couldn't find it anywhere. I'm not worried about the videos they mention in the email because I can assure you there are none of the videos described; however, I obviously don't want any videos sent to my contacts.

Of course nothing is going to happen. This is a classic attempt to scare you into giving them money. So many people are getting this same email, even if a fraction of the people fall for the scam (1250 to be exact), they could easily make a million dollars. It doesn't cost them anything to send out the emails and they just need to wait for the money to come in. Don't be fooled, and if anyone was tempted to fall for this obvious scam, they really need to review this article about phishing scams too, or they will also be handing out their account passwords like candy.

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

And Gift Card scams:

About Gift Card Scams - Official Apple Support

May 7, 2024 9:05 AM in response to Gabi1086

Gabi1086 wrote:

When i replied to it, it actually went to my email address. How do they do that?

The Reply To field can be added to any email that is sent. You can even do that yourself when you create an email in Apple Mail. That does not mean anyone has access to your account or that the email from sent from your account.

You just need to delete the email. Any interaction with links or replying just lets them know that they have found someone who may be susceptible to believing the contents of the email and will respond to them. You can expect more of these fake emails by doing that, but as long as you do not provide them with any information, no harm can be done.

May 7, 2024 11:18 AM in response to Gabi1086

Gabi1086 wrote:

I replied to it with three "???"
Should i have any concerns that they can do something because i replied?
When i replied to it, it actually went to my email address. How do they do that?
Thank you so much for your reply.

True story. I have a friend who writes techno thrillers. He asked me one day while working on his first novel (Singularity) how it would be possible to send an email that appeared to be from his protagonist, Jon Knox, but was actually from a spy. So the email I send him as a reply came from Jon Knox.

May 15, 2024 6:18 PM in response to klepsdiphone5s

klepsdiphone5s wrote:

I have the same email. How do I find the IP Address and the user who sent the email?

You don't. Each user has a private IP address, with the only public address being the Router that it is connected to. Even if you view the Raw email by selecting the email and going to View > Message > Raw Source, you will see IP addresses of the hops it takes to get to you with the last "Received:" section showing the closest to the originator, but it will not identify the sender.

May 8, 2024 7:49 AM in response to lelandeos

lelandeos wrote:

idk, it def got kicked to my spam, but it looks very convincing, I'm more concerned that they have my iCloud password, because the email it was sent from is my own it looks like, there's no uppercase I in iCloud for the l, so I'm just confused as to how they're spoofing it.

Of course, it looks convincing. That's the point. No, they don't have your iCloud password. However, it makes you feel better, change your Apple ID password and ensure the two-factor authentication is enabled.

Change your Apple ID password - Apple Support

May 6, 2024 7:21 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Did the OP share the raw email with you? I received the same email, and neither it nor the OP’s post show a misspelling of iCloud in the email body.

Doesn’t more definitive evidence reside in the raw header information with such flags as DMARC info and/or quarantine status, as seen here in the identical email in my Junk folder?

No hostility intended — I’m trying to determine how you arrived at your assessment with (ostensibly) only the OP’s pasted email body text. If it was deductive, by citing traits commonly found in other, unrelated junk email, then us recipients aren’t any better armed to make our own assessments going forward. ✌🏼

May 6, 2024 3:27 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Yes, I read that — but since there’s no evidence of a misspelled “iCloud” in the OP’s post, and you weren’t privy to the raw source, I don’t understand where this misspelling is evident.

Possibly, if the OP wasn’t aware of how to discern a capital “i” from a lower case “L” in “iCloud”, and you summarily claimed that was the case, isn’t there a possibility that, due to your level and points, the OP assumed you nailed it? A sort of ‘argument from authority’ scenario? The email I received doesn’t show such a misspelling, but maybe the scammer read this thread and decided to patch the hole?

My aim here is to learn how to assess an email as fraudulent, and your claim based on someone else’s claim doesn’t help me get there. Would you mind being a bit more helpful? What about DMARC and quarantine?

I received an email that said I've been hacked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.