Switch off "Automatic" Data Format in Numbers when opening a CSV

When I open a CSV, if a cell has a product code R1001 then Numbers applied the "Automatic" cell format and it changed R1001 to R 1001.00 which is South African Rands currency. This causes issues when bulk editing and importing data. I need Numbers to leave cell formatting alone when I open a CSV. Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 29, 2024 11:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2024 5:46 AM

It would be nice, but you cannot. It is a real problem.

For your particular problem, you can use File->Advanced->Language and Region to change your region to one that doesn't have that currency, import your data, then change it back. But this is not a very good solution in general because a list of product codes might start with other "currency codes" as well.

I used to have a script that was great at importing CSV files but this "table import" feature broke it.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2024 5:46 AM in response to ctnic

It would be nice, but you cannot. It is a real problem.

For your particular problem, you can use File->Advanced->Language and Region to change your region to one that doesn't have that currency, import your data, then change it back. But this is not a very good solution in general because a list of product codes might start with other "currency codes" as well.

I used to have a script that was great at importing CSV files but this "table import" feature broke it.

Apr 30, 2024 6:13 AM in response to ctnic

Here is a Shortcut that will create import a CSV file into a new Numbers document with all cells treated/imported as text. This should solve the misinterpretation problem but you'll have to format numbers and other data types to the correct format after importing. From there you can copy/paste to your actual table. It is a lot slower than the built-in import feature because it changes the values of the cells one by one in the script, which is slow. It is not very usable for large CSV files.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/9d352fd8bafe4be4b7bc9a080946f329

Let me know how it works for you. It uses a lot of the same code from the script I used to use. The old script would convert CSV data to tab separated data on the clipboard and I could paste that into a pre-formatted table. Unfortunately, that doesn't work now because "table import" takes over and messes it all up. This new script (in the shortcut) changes the cells in the table individually.

Switch off "Automatic" Data Format in Numbers when opening a CSV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.