Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Migrating older Intel based Mac data to newer M1 or M2 processor based Mac recommended?

Good day.

Complete Mac noob here.

For work I need to transfer data from an old Intel based Mac to a New Mac that will probably have an M1 or M2 processor.

Is it recommended to use the Migration assistant to move apps and data between these 2 machines?

And I'm supposed to be the expert but I've only done Windows machines before.

Thank you.

Lost

Posted on Apr 30, 2024 2:18 AM

2 replies

Apr 30, 2024 6:35 PM in response to IanMarais

When the original Macintosh with its Motorola 68000 CPU was replaced by the original iMac and its Motorola PowerPC CPU I migrated the older one's contents using the equivalent of today's Migration Assistant. They called it Setup Assistant at the time but the idea is the same.

When Intel CPU supplanted the PowerPC series, I migrated their contents the same way. Apple incorporated a dynamic translator called Rosetta to manage the differences in instruction sets.

When the Intel was replaced by Apple Silicon they did the same thing, this time calling it Rosetta 2.

As a result I may come across an extremely ancient file containing Motorola 68000 code on my recent Macs but it's inert. I'll either ignore it or drag it to the Trash.

So the answer to your question is yes. Apple thinks about these things. They always have.

Migrating older Intel based Mac data to newer M1 or M2 processor based Mac recommended?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.