Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How does one put new phoos onto "Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro"?

I copied photos from my old MacBook Pro onto a LaCie Extreme, more than once accidentally. So I bought DUPLICATE PHOTOS FIXER PRO. But how do I empty the screen of photos already sorted and put new photos there? And I don't see a bin. Just in the laptop's trash bin. The instructions are nit specific enough.

Posted on Apr 30, 2024 3:21 AM

9 replies

Apr 30, 2024 11:19 AM in response to Prima

Are these duplicates in a Photos Library, or are they in Finder folders?

If they are inside a Photos Library, then Photos (in Ventura and Sonoma) scans the Library for duplicates and puts them in the Duplicates album.

You say "imported... to my LACie Extreme hard drive" and I'm not sure what that means. Did you Export pictures from different Libraries to Finder folders on the hard drive, or did you import pictures to a Photos Library on your hard drive? Do you have more than one Photos Library?

Many of us have used  PowerPhotos ($30) for many services with Photos including duplicate detection (and the developers are very helpful!), and PhotosSweeper ($10), available at the app store.

For pictures outside of Photos, in Finder folders, I have used Gemini 2 ($20) to deal with duplicate files of all sorts.

Again, be careful of apps claiming to clean your Mac-- there is lots of experience with such apps causing havoc on a Mac.

May 1, 2024 9:15 AM in response to Prima

I think what you said is that you have all these pictures as individual files in folders that are accessed with Finder, just like on the Desktop and other folders, and you can view the files in list view like this

or with icons-- is that correct? You are not working with pictures in a Photos Library, right?

I had pictures from many cameras, film and digital, scanned from slides or prints, or taken off old CDs (remember those?). They were backups of backups, and I had duplicates in double digits.

If you copy pictures from one album to another, the copies will be given names with a number suffix, and you can put them in name order and dump a lot of them on sight. You can try date order to do the same. You do that sort of thing as long as it is simple. But then you need a duplicate finder.

For pictures outside of the Photos Library there are a number of duplicate finders that work well. I mentioned that, for pictures outside of Photos--that are in Finder folders-- I have used Gemini 2 ($20) to deal with duplicate image files. You can have it automatically remove duplicates (a bit scary,) and you can have it display images it thinks are duplicates side by side for your decision. It lists file size, resolution, date, etc, to help you out. Many pictures look the same, but have different metadata or resolution, so this is essential. For me, it was very very tedious and boring, and it took a long time, but it got done. I think.

Another program that I have used for decades (really!) is GraphicConverter ($40). GraphicConverter has a duplicate finder, but I didn't like it as well as Gemini 2. But it does batch renaming and metadata manipulation that's great if you need it.

I hope this is helpful-- sorry about "fixer pro" 😏

Apr 30, 2024 8:20 AM in response to Prima

DUPLICATE PHOTOS FIXER PRO is not an Apple Product. Your best bet is to contact the developer of that program for advice.

We, here, are always cautious about using 3rd party apps to mess around in the Photos Library. I would not use this unless you have a good backup of your Photos Library on an external drive.

Duplicates are dealt with in the Photos app, itself, for Ventura and Sonoma. What operating system do you have?

Apr 30, 2024 10:42 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

Thanks for respoding. That's the problem I cannot seem to find an email or website to contact the developer.

I'm in Ventura. By mistake I must have imported 2 or 3 times from my Old Macbook pro iPhotos, Photos and 'photographs' to my LACie Extreme hard drive. So I wanted to clear the external hard drive of duplicates. Then clear my current mac of files and photos and video duplicates.

Ventura doesn't have any way of clearing other files - not in the Photos app. though does it?

Apr 30, 2024 12:19 PM in response to Prima

I have a huge archive here of a dancer who lived in 3 countries. I am not an archivist however, or a photographer.

I transferred photos from my 2012 Macboook Pro out of the 'Photos', 'iPhotos', and 'Pictures', to the external hard drive into a folder I named, "from old Mackbook pro 2023". So now many images are on the LaCie HD in triplicate.

I bought the 'Duplicated Photos Fixer Pro' from the App Store at apple. It just doesn't have enough directions and I coukldn't find a way of contacting the developer etc.

Thanks for the warning. Maybe I should throw it away. and continue deleting photos manually. I find it really difficult to organize all the many external drives and flash drives I have been using for 20 years for this physical archive. And my 2023 Mackbook Pro is busting at the seams too. I bought an 18TB LaCie recently and thought to put as much as I can on that HD. I have to figure out a system, and that's why I got the 'Duplicated Photos Fixer Pro' from the App Store. It looked fairly simple.

Primavera

May 1, 2024 9:32 AM in response to Prima

Hi again Richard.

Yes you are correct. These duplicates are from an external hard drive, not in the PHOTOS app. I'm in Ventura and it's nice there, as the dupes have there own folder. I started to delete individual files that had (1) or (2) after the file name, but after two nights I stopped. I managed to find a support email for "Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro". It's in India under SYSTEAK. If I am not satisfied with their answer, I will buy your recomendation.

Many thanks for answering.

Prima

May 9, 2024 12:00 PM in response to Richard.Taylor

Well the support from DUPLICATE PHOTOS FIXER PRO is friendly. -- Back and forth each day. But I don't feel safe giving them access to my desktop. I'll let it sit for a while and maybe later get another app to find and delete dupes. This the last email from SYSTWEAK:

Prima

_______

"Dear Primavera 

My apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

To check the problem,  it would be helpful if you allow us to check your PC for the problem using AnyDesk application. 

You can install AnyDesk application from the link below:

https://anydesk.com/en

Once you have AnyDesk software installed, please provide your 9-digit AnyDesk Address so we can connect to your PC.

Once we have the requested details, we will connect to your system to understand the reason for the problem.

Please do not hesitate to contact us, should you have further queries.

Regards

Systweak Support Team"

[Edited by Moderator]

How does one put new phoos onto "Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.