Nightmare. Big picture is need full original Mojave installer BUT...read on.

Hi. MANY years ago, like 6 years ago, I bought a used 2015 Macbook Pro. I no longer have the contact info from the seller. Yesterday, 6 years later, I decided to wipe clean the computer, hopefully reinstall the original OS (Mojave) so I can build a new iTunes library for my old iPods where music is backed up on external hard drives. Called Apple Support. They had me to a Remote Internet Recovery: Option-Command-R. After the install was complete, that recovery loaded OS Monterey, not Mojave, AND a nightmare scenario. The computer was actually owned and being remote managed by Sirius XM Radio and I couldn't get past their login/password screen. So I talked to their Corporate Support folks and they basically said "too bad, so sad, keep the computer but we are not going to help you zap our remote management AND we will *not* send you a letter or confirmation we are letting you keep it. You're on your own. So I decided to backtrack out of the install process, disconnect from wi-fi, install as if I had no wi-fi and now I have a fresh install of Monterey without remote management but I want Mojave. Went to App Store to try and "GET" Mojave and was unable to download from the App Store and the error message says "This copy of Install MacOS application is too old to be opened on this version of macOS." The current version is 12.7.4. How can I get an install of Mojave AND how can I remove this Sirius XM Remote management since they don't want their computer back and won't help. FYI- I am a little old lady and not a computer professional so I need simple instructions. Please. Thank you.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 30, 2024 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2024 12:53 PM

Yes, the Mojave installer automatically tries to run but it can't do it on that too new macOS Monterey. That's what the alert is saying. (Sometimes after the downloaded installer has been there for months, its certificates might have been expired and the cure is to trash the old installer and download a new one (or turn the Mac's clock backwards a suitable time)).

That's why you need to make a bootable installer from it (see above for instructions). And then boot from it to make the installer work.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2024 12:53 PM in response to amyvegan

Yes, the Mojave installer automatically tries to run but it can't do it on that too new macOS Monterey. That's what the alert is saying. (Sometimes after the downloaded installer has been there for months, its certificates might have been expired and the cure is to trash the old installer and download a new one (or turn the Mac's clock backwards a suitable time)).

That's why you need to make a bootable installer from it (see above for instructions). And then boot from it to make the installer work.

Apr 30, 2024 10:22 PM in response to amyvegan

> I did not see anything download and I know what a download of an app looks like and I did not see that process happening

Mojave installer is downloaded to /Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app. Then follow the instructions above how to make a bootable USB installer from it via the Terminal (yes, the dreaded Terminal command line but just follow the instructions to the letter. There are also GUI apps to do that but I have never used those).

But prepare for a disappointment if the Sirius XM Radio MDM management is still there.

...you want Mojave because you want to use the old iTunes. Is there something that the new Music.app and syncing via the Finder can not do?

Apr 30, 2024 11:41 AM in response to amyvegan

So is the Mac (Mobile Device Management MDM) managed by the previous owner or not? If it is and they refuse to cancel it, then there is not much you can do to make it truly yours.

iCloud "Find My Mac" setting should also be OFF.

If those things are active, then it is not possible to make that Mac yours. Maybe that's why after installing Monterey you were greeted with the previous owner's login.

You could try this anyway: download Mojave, make a bootable USB installer from it, boot to it, use its Disk Utility to format the internal device as Mac OS Extended (GUID) if it is a HDD or APFS if it is a SSD (View > Show All Devices > select the topmost device), install Mojave. But maybe the MDM kicks in again even after that.

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Apr 30, 2024 1:11 PM in response to amyvegan

amyvegan wrote:

I still don't understand where I can download the Apple Store version of Mojave to if not to the computer. It did NOT give me an option to download it to a flash drive or whatever. I really appreciate you trying to help but I need step-by-step instructions as if I'm a 100% complete newbie, which I am. Thank you.

I think you're conflating two different things: downloading and installing. Yes, your computer is telling you it can't install the OS. But it has already downloaded the installer. That's what you use to create the bootable installer using the instructions that Matti Haveri linked to.

Apr 30, 2024 11:37 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Sirius refused to help. But please read my message again because I was able to successfully install Monterey with wi-fi turned off and no hassle with the Remote Management. Now, since I am unable to download Mojave OS install onto the reconfigured Monterey machine (that was being managed by Sirius), I am looking for a full copy of Mojave to install with wi-fi off to test and I need an easy explanation on how to do this since I can't download it from the App Store. I hope someone else can assist. Thanks.

Apr 30, 2024 2:08 PM in response to amyvegan

amyvegan wrote:

Thanks. I had to leave the house so I won't be able to check what you are suggesting but I did not see anything download and I know what a download of an app looks like and I did not see that process happening. But I will double check that it happened instantaneously behind the scenes but I saw nothing happen other than the error message.

It sounds as if a break would be a good thing! I find I have a lot of trouble learning new things if I get too frustrated.

I admit, this is not my area of expertise but I know that Matti is very knowledgable and the directs seem pretty straightforward.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.