Macbook Air 2020 restarts when I close the lid

When I close my Macbook Air and then reopen it some time later, I usually find that it has shut down or at least tried to shut down. Often I see a popup that says the Mac couldn't shut down because Word or Excel or some other application couldn't shut down due to an unsaved file. Options are save, don't save, or cancel, and I always hit cancel. Then the apps that have already shut down have to start up, while I wait. Sometimes the popup doesn't appear, but all of the apps begin to restart. Time consuming and annoying. I don't think I lose data, since it doesn't shut down if files are unsaved, but I often lose the Chrome windows that were open before I shut the lid. This used to happen almost every time but then the frequency decreased until I updated to OS 13.4.1 recently, and now it happens almost every time I close the Mac for more than a few minutes.

Mac mini, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 30, 2024 3:32 PM

5 replies

May 1, 2024 9:27 AM in response to LatrinaCleanola

It sounds like you’re seeing expected behavior.

Yes, entering your credentials (password or Touch ID) is certainly required when awakening from sleep. It’s a security measure - think of what would happen if your Mac was stolen while sleeping - without this all your information would be compromised.

”Applications start up” - well, they are not shut down while sleeping, but they are certainly dormant and need to regain their bearings. But, for example, Safari will recall what tabs you had open.

May 4, 2024 1:44 PM in response to sberman

The current situation isn't the end of the world, but things didn't always work this way. I started noticing this behave a couple years ago, but prior to that time, the Macbook Air would just remember all of the open apps, open windows, etc., whenever I opened up the lid. Now, it only remembers everything if I reopen the Mac within a relatively short time. I haven't kept track of how long a "relatively short time" is within any precision, but I know it happens if I open the Mac the next day. On the other hand, I just reopened the Mac about two hours after I closed it, and everything was immediately there , just like I left it.

And when it goes through the process of bringing back what I had running the day before, sometimes it loses a things I have written into a web page, so i have to try to reconstruct what I was doing. This aspect is even more annoying than just having to wait for a minute while the Mac brings back what was running previously.

Macbook Air 2020 restarts when I close the lid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.