Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

SONOMADNESS iTunes 2024 Sonoma 14.41 MacBook Air M2 (Frozen, Crashes, Crash, Stalled, Broken, Unresponsive, Upgrade)

iTunes has been replaced by separate apps for different media types on macOS Catalina (version 10.15) and, later, macOS Sonoma (version 14).

• Music: Replaces the music management and playback functionality of iTunes.

However, since upgrading to Sonoma 14.4.1 Mac OS I have not been able to use iTunes.

I have tried:

1. Restarting my MacBook (Press and hold the power button until your MacBook shuts down, then press the power button again to turn it back on).
  2. Checking for Software Updates: the MacBook's operating system is Sonoma 14.41 and up to date.
  3. Close Unnecessary Applications: Closed unused or unnecessary apps to free up system resources.
  4. Checking for Disk Space: The "About This Mac" section shows I do not need to free up space by deleting unnecessary files or applications.
  5. Running Disk Utility: from the Utilities folder in the Applications folder.
  6. Performing a Safe Boot: restarting the MacBook and holding the Shift key until the Apple logo.
  7. Checking for iTunes Updates: Although iTunes has been replaced by separate apps for different media types on macOS Sonoma, I have checked the Mac App Store to see if there are any updates available for Apple Music.
  8. Verifying iTunes Installation: Music app is properly installed on the MacBook Air M2 (and it won't let me uninstall it)
  9. Resetting Music Preferences: Sometimes, corrupted preferences files can cause issues. I tried resetting the Apple Music preferences by deleting the "com.apple.iTunes.plist" file from the Library/Preferences folder in the user directory. After deleting the file, relaunching Apple Music to see if the issue is resolved.
  10. Checking for Third-Party Software Compatibility: disabling or uninstalling any recently installed third-party software to see if that resolves the issue (nope).
  11. Creating a New User Account: a new user account on the MacBook Air M2 to see if iTunes works properly in the new account. It does not. The issue may not be related to the user account settings or preferences.

I have not tried:

• Reset SMC and NVRAM/PRAM: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) and Non-Volatile Random-Access Memory (NVRAM) or Parameter RAM (PRAM) can sometimes resolve hardware-related issues. Instructions for resetting these components can be found on Apple's support website. (never learned of anyone trying this one, feeling pensive)
  • Backing up and Reinstalling macOS: using Time Machine or another backup solution. ( I have too much invested in my Visual Studio Profile to reformat and start over)
  • Contacting Apple Support: Visiting an Apple Authorized Service Provider for further assistance and possible repairs. (the MacBook just came out of warranty period)

Any help you can provide would be most appreciated.

MacBook Air, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 30, 2024 5:43 PM

3 replies

Apr 30, 2024 5:45 PM in response to synonymous_with_yma

Please download and run (free) EtreCheck, and share the results to the clipboard. Then open a new reply here, and press the Additional Text button that looks like a printed page, and paste and post the hardware and software configuration report here. From the, we can get a little more detail about what is installed and what is running here.

Apr 30, 2024 5:56 PM in response to synonymous_with_yma

synonymous_with_yma wrote:

iTunes has been replaced by separate apps for different media types on macOS Catalina (version 10.15) and, later, macOS Sonoma (version 14).
Music:• Replaces the music management and playback functionality of iTunes.

However, since upgrading to Sonoma 14.4.1 Mac OS I have not been able to use iTunes.

I'm a little confused. To the best of my knowledge, there is no version of iTunes that works under Sonoma. So, not being able to use it iTunes would be the expected behavior.

SONOMADNESS iTunes 2024 Sonoma 14.41 MacBook Air M2 (Frozen, Crashes, Crash, Stalled, Broken, Unresponsive, Upgrade)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.