Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Listening to music on iPhone which has been purchased .

Adding purchased music to iPhone shouldn't be a nightmare. However, it is turning into one. This music was purchased for listening, the purchase price included whatever portion or cost went to the artist who had the rights to the song. The purchaser has the right to play and listen to the music, as this is included with the purchase. This right does not include reproducing or selling said music, ect.

So a buyer of a cd does have the right to listen to the music by playing it on a device.

What is muddled is Apple's involvement if you choose to play said song on an Apple device you also purchased. Does Apple the company , now have jurisdiction over the owner of purchased song or Apple device ?

Anyone want to unmuddle the waters, please do so, and I apologize in advance of my confusion over this matter. Perhaps there are more folks that have confusion over this matter.

so if I stored music 30 years ago, in the iCloud , which to my delight came back onto my iPhone ( love my songs) have I lost my right to download to my iPhone or do I have to repurchase this song even though I still have the original CD. Or is it now illegal to put a song not purchased from Apple on an Apple device unless you bought it from Apple? Yet you still have it in an iCloud you have been paying for space for 30 years.?

Thank you for answering

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Apr 30, 2024 6:53 PM

2 replies

Apr 30, 2024 7:06 PM in response to Nowaycowboy

So in our "paid for iCloud " we discover, that our stored music still exists ! so So happy that this music did not disappear, it is still there. Yea! So we attempt to download it back to our device and we are asked to pay for the songs again? But this time to Apple because Apple bought all the rights to music? Please help, Imfeel very small at this moment

Apr 30, 2024 7:14 PM in response to Nowaycowboy

There are 2 issues here.

The song stored in iCloud does not mean you own the song. iCloud allows you to store any file you have regardless of the file format. this is just a storage service.

if you have purchased the song in a CD format does not mean that you have the right to listen in Apple Music. In my opinion, you need to buy from Apple Music.

Listening to music on iPhone which has been purchased .

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.