Audio dropout through hue sync box

I recently purchased a new tv (Samsung S95C OLED) and Hue gradient light strips for the tv.

I’ve hooked up my Apple TV and TiVo edge to the hue sync box. Then the sync box to the tv. All with HDMI cables. Everything is working fine with the setup other than when using my Apple TV I have repeated audio dropout that lasts about 1-2 seconds. It happens several times in a typical 30-60 minute viewing.

I never had this issue when the Apple TV was connected directly to the tv. It only seems to be with it going through the hue sync box.

Anyone encountered similar or have any thoughts, suggestions?

Posted on Apr 30, 2024 7:55 PM

4 replies

Apr 30, 2024 10:01 PM in response to Jbh1usa

If you are using Wi-Fi to stream the content from your router to your Apple TV then it is possible you may not have a strong enough signal to go from your router to the Apple TV box. Please don't confuse signal strength with signal speed. The speed of your Wi-Fi comes from your ISP into your home and to your modem and router. From there it is distributed throughout your home to the various wi-fi devices you have at home. Depending on you home size, amount of floors it has, the amount of Wi-Fi devices you have and even the home construction type signals can become weak as they make their way through your home.

To test signal strength you can use a tool like iStumbler (for Macs) to measure the signal strength in the various rooms of your home. If you find the signal is weak where your Apple TV is located then it's possible you need to upgrade your Wi-Fi system to something called a Mesh Network so you can get a strong signal throughout the house.

I support over 40 different wi-fi devices (computers, phones, iPads, watches, smart TVs, Apple TVs, lights, speakers and the list goes on) and all take bandwidth, when I upgraded to a Mesh Network several years ago, my wi-fi signal strength problems disappeared.

May 1, 2024 6:54 AM in response to Jbh1usa

How is your audio setup? Do you use the TV’s built-in speakers, or something else?

As the current Hue Sync Box supports HDMI 2.0 up to 4K 60 Hz for ports 2 and 4, reserve port 1 and 3 for “lesser” devices that wouldn’t be able to use max settings anyway.

If you need more inputs at max quality, then consider the use of an additional HDMI switch.

(Philips has been promising a HDMI 2.1 edition for years now. Will it happen this year?)

Audio dropout through hue sync box

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.