unknown files won't download to my MacBook Air

A disc of photos I downloaded in 2007 - on a different Mac - cannot be opened on my present Mac. They are come up as black squares with 'exec' on them, and are, apparently, 'chsh-s/bin/zsh' files. How can I translate these and download them onto my MacBook Air?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.7

Posted on May 1, 2024 1:24 AM

5 replies

May 2, 2024 3:16 AM in response to Meggiepoos

The folders Originals and Modified should contain image files. Perhaps they are shown erroneously as executable files.

Can you copy them from the disk where they are now to your current Mac to a separate folder in your Pictures folder, where you can change the filename extensions to .jpeg in the Finder? But do not copy them as part of the current file hierarchy, use new, separate folder "originals" or "Modified".

You may need to change the permissions before you can modify the filenames.

You can enlarge the thumbnails from the data folder, using the online image enlarge, see this link: Online Image Enlarger

It can enlarge time images by adding pixels without making the edges blurry.

May 1, 2024 1:54 AM in response to Meggiepoos

exec Files in a folder bin/zsh are probably shell scripts, written for the z-shell.

These scripts can be run using the Terminal. You can ignore them, if you just want to save your photos. Shell Scripts written for an older system version may not be compatible with your current system version and I would not try to run them without understanding what they are supposed to do.

unknown files won't download to my MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.