Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

WiFi keeps saying incorrect password using private WI-fi

WiFi keeps saying incorrect password With setting private wi fi address turned on… this keeps happening when I turn Wi-Fi off, leaving the house and then try to rejoin. I used to use the reset network all the time now I just go in and have to turn off the private Wi-Fi tab.

But why do I need to keep doing that? Is there some other setting I can change?

iPhone 15 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on May 1, 2024 5:28 AM

5 replies

May 1, 2024 5:41 AM in response to IrishGrandma62

Enable Private WiFi Address. See the pic below which is self-explanatory.

If this enabled then you need to change the settings on the router.

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Connect to Wi-Fi and resolve Wi-Fi issues.

About privacy and security warnings

If your Apple device shows a privacy warning or weak-security warning about a Wi-Fi network, that network could expose information about your device. Apple recommends connecting to Wi-Fi networks that meet or exceed the security standards in this article.

If you do not have WPA3 on your router then please choose AES and not TKP/AES. See the pic below.

May 2, 2024 2:04 PM in response to SravanKrA

Thank you. I checked my router synology at2600 and has WPA2/WPA3 PERSONAL AES security enabled. I cant do WPA3 because my brother printer wont link to wireless network when changed. And i did update Brother firmware with what could find on website. so something else not understanding. I do know how to enable private wifi on phone but i do turn off wifi when leave house ….i dont want to turn on airplane mode because still want cellular calls. Is there another suggestion?

May 2, 2024 2:09 PM in response to IrishGrandma62

Hello IrishGrandma62,

Go to Settings > Wi-Fi > select the i with a circle around the network you want to connect to and press Forget This Network. Then tap the i with the circle again and check that the switches for Auto-Join and Private Wi-Fi Address are on(green). Then click the back arrow that says Wi-Fi on the top left of your screen and press the network you want to connect to again and put in the password.

Let me know if this doesn't work for you. I have a few other ways to fix this problem, but let's start with basic solution for now.

WiFi keeps saying incorrect password using private WI-fi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.