Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Creating a specific function.

Hi, being very new to Numbers I hope I can explain this correctly.

I am trying to create a function in B2 that grabs the latest value that has been populated in that last particular month's data.

The different sheets referring to the months all have the same B2 location where the data is entered.

Hoping someone can see what I am trying to accomplish.

TIA

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 1, 2024 7:11 AM

2 replies

May 1, 2024 11:33 AM in response to L3roy

There is no concise way to reference cells from different sheets as a single range. That is the crux of the problem. But with only twelve tables to reference, brute force will work fine.

=LOOKUP(REGEX(".+"),{January::Table 1::B2,February::Table 1::B2,March::Table 1::B2,April::Table 1::B2,May::Table 1::B2,June::Table 1::B2,July::Table 1::B2,August::Table 1::B2,September::Table 1::B2,October::Table 1::B2,November::Table 1::B2,December::Table 1::B2})

The brackets {} create an array of the referenced cells

REGEX(".+) is the search term. The ".+" means "any characters".

LOOKUP searches backward through the array so as long as you created the array in monthly order, it will find the most recent month that has something (anything) in it.

Creating a specific function.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.