Apple Watch 9 causing broken capillaries on wrist

Purchased Apple Watch 9, 2 weeks ago. Have worn it 6 days continually, except for a couple of hours for recharging each day. Felt burning and stinging sensation underside on wrist on 5th day, then on 6th day, saw three tiny spots with capillaries showing under skin which seem to correspond to the circular sensors on back of watch. This is permanent damage and will not go away. Suspect it is related to heart monitor which I have activated continually. Anyone else experienced this event?

Apple Watch Series 9, watchOS 10

Posted on May 1, 2024 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2024 6:59 AM

Some people have experienced allergic reactions to materials used in the watch, like nickel. Are you taking any anti-platelet or anti-cogaulant drugs like Xarelto. I’m taking Xarelto and any small scratch can be a problem with bleeding but my Watch is not causing any problems for me.

But the best advice is to call your doctor.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2024 6:59 AM in response to luvseagles

Some people have experienced allergic reactions to materials used in the watch, like nickel. Are you taking any anti-platelet or anti-cogaulant drugs like Xarelto. I’m taking Xarelto and any small scratch can be a problem with bleeding but my Watch is not causing any problems for me.

But the best advice is to call your doctor.

May 2, 2024 7:09 AM in response to luvseagles

I just checked the space between the sensor on my arm, wearing my Ultra 2.

I can lift it up approx. 0,5cm/0.2 inch, it still measures the heart rate and the watch does not lock automatically because it loses touch to the wrist.

If turn my wrist 180 degrees, I can put a finger between the wirst band and the wrist.

Try to losen it up a notch or two and test the sensors.

May 2, 2024 6:03 AM in response to Ingo2711

It is my first watch which I purchased for its emergency call capability when I am out walking alone.

I did have it snug but thought it better in order to get a proper heart rate reading which I have wanted to monitor. I researched internet but hard to figure out what "tight" is. It was never uncomfortable, but stayed snug without any movement. I am afraid now to wear it, but would hate to give it up without knowing if one notch down would work without any more damage. All in all, I am no expert but whatever the tech is going here, seems pretty powerful. The burning sensation that preceded the new visable capallaries did feel like a radiation sensation.

Do you think going down a notice where I could almost slide my small finger under would still register a correct heart rate or do you use that feature.

Really appreciate your response.

May 2, 2024 9:18 AM in response to lkrupp

Not taking any drugs like that. And no rash or external blood, just 3 small dots under my skin which seem to coincide with the round disk like images on backside of watch. A magnifying glass show tiny blood vessels right under the skin which are brand new. I would have noticed as I had been closely inspected my wrist in the first few days for any allergic reaction. Very strange indeed. Will try a looser band and inspect carefully.

Many thanks.

Apple Watch 9 causing broken capillaries on wrist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.