Old ios didn’t work.

i have 3G on 4.2.1 it’s signed now but the mail system appstore and other apple services are doesn’t work on the other i have iPhone 4 running ios 5.1.1 as you can expect it didn’t work either

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on May 1, 2024 9:26 AM

4 replies

May 1, 2024 9:51 AM in response to kerem0

The cellular phone network, the Internet, iPhones, and iOS have evolved so much that an iPhone 3G isn't really very useful as a phone, as a Web browser, or as a platform for running new apps any more. In the U. S., carriers have almost completely shut down their 2G and 3G networks. So there would be few places – if any – where that phone could receive a cellular signal. It has 128 MB (1/8th of 1 GB) of RAM – whereas most of the phones that can run iOS 17 have at least 4 GB of RAM (32 times as much).

That phone may still be useful for playing music that you've purchased, and loaded onto the phone with the help of a Mac or PC. If it is in working order, there is little reason NOT to re-purpose it as an iPod.

But it's unrealistic to expect it to be a useful smartphone today.

May 1, 2024 9:33 AM in response to kerem0

kerem0 wrote:

i guess apple want to jailbreak old iPhone devices we have, that’s ridiculous..

Apple regularly updates its hardware and software, which can strain compatibility with older devices over time. This creates the impression that Apple wants you to Jailbreak!

However, there's more to the story. Advancements in technology often render older hardware less capable, making it difficult to maintain seamless performance and compatibility. Additionally, like any machine, devices age and degrade naturally.

Sure, Apple benefits from selling new products. But attributing all limitations of older devices to a ploy might be an oversimplification. Companies constantly innovate, and sometimes that progress makes older models fall behind.

The choice is yours:

Mobile brand/model selection is an individual choice based on many parameters, such as Money, Features, Societal Status, Aesthetics, Utility, Data Security, User-Friendliness, Availability, Warranty Coverage, Service Support, Resale value, Technology, and many other factors. Choose yours judiciously!

Old ios didn’t work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.