Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

default factory PATH for Sonoma 14.4.1

I am having trouble with running an Intel based app, GNATStudio, under Rosetta. I have to add a prefix, PATH=blabla: rest of path, which I have done. But it may be the rest of the PATH setting is not the default factory PATH for OS Sonoma 14.4.1. What should that default PATH setting be for OS Sonoma 14.4.1?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.2

Posted on May 1, 2024 10:18 AM

6 replies

May 2, 2024 4:42 AM in response to michaelayres

michaelayres wrote:

I am having trouble with running an Intel based app, GNATStudio, under Rosetta.

Why are you trying to run this app? It looks like it was ported to the Mac over 4 years ago and hasn't been touched since. The installer is hand-rolled and isn't even signed. You seem to have done very well to get this far. However, you are never, ever going to get this to work. Whatever you are trying to accomplish - you will need to find some other way. This is a dead end.

May 1, 2024 11:42 AM in response to michaelayres

If I understand correctly, this is an IDE. (I don't know this particular software)

Are you having trouble with running the application itself, or with compiling the code, which would call installed compilers? What is it that does not run?

What is your PATH? Where are you trying to configure it? Presumably somewhere in the IDE settings (and not, say, in Terminal).

May 1, 2024 8:51 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Let me rephrase the problem:

1) Running Mac OS Sonoma 14.1.0 on a MacbookPro with M1 Chip.

2) Using the terminal, I have set my PATH variable as (export) PATH = /opt/gcc-13.1.0/bin: followed by standard PATH settings.

3) My app (Built on Intel silicon, but Macbook running Rosetta, does not find a few Unix executables: gnatls and gnatbuild in the /opt/gcc-13.1.0/bin directory which is in the path.

4) and my terminal command “find gnatls” does not find the gnatls in the directory …/bin that is first in the path.

5) /opt/ is ‘hidden’ in Mac OS Finder app, but made visible easily enough there, but Finder settings are meaningless to my app.

6) Most bewildering is that MacOS (unix) command ‘find gnatls’ fails unless I cd all the way into ../bin subdirectory

6) All attempts to make the directory/opt/gcc-13.1.0/bin nohidden or chmod fail, both at the root /opt/… and or the final subdirectory …/bin

7) I suspect Rosetta is not doing its thing, or somehow things remain hidden at /opt/ and beyond

(as the real problem and solution here remain hidden to me) I am no OSX, OS Sonoma, or Unix guru, obviously..

May 2, 2024 2:39 AM in response to michaelayres

1) That command would be

export PATH="/opt/gcc-13.1.0/bin:$PATH"

(no spaces at all, as Bob noted)

2) Where did you do the export PATH command?

You need to do it in a file that is executed when your shell runs (e.g. in ~/zshenv or ~/.zprofile if using zsh), so that it is active for that session.

And for your IDE, I suspect that it may have a setting of its own for the PATH.

default factory PATH for Sonoma 14.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.