Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Backups grayed out in Migration Assistant

My MacBook 12" 2017 running Ventura 13.6.6 was malfunctioning so I decided to reformat the hard drive and reinstall. Migration Assistant sees my external backup drive. However, the backup is grayed out and the continue button is too.

If I start the machine and open with Finder the external drive, the backups are there.

If I try to use Time Machine it refuses to select the drive because it is not empty and offers to erase it. It is formatted APFS case-sensitive.

Thanks

MacBook, macOS 13.6

Posted on May 1, 2024 11:58 AM

1 reply

May 1, 2024 12:21 PM in response to gpasha

My MacBook 12" 2017 running Ventura 13.6.6 was malfunctioning so I decided to reformat the hard drive and reinstall. Migration Assistant sees my external backup drive. However, the backup is grayed out and the continue button is too.

If I start the machine and open with Finder the external drive, the backups are there.

If I try to use Time Machine it refuses to select the drive because it is not empty and offers to erase it. It is formatted APFS case-sensitive.

If I reboot with cmd+R and try Time Machine System Restore all backups are visible but when I click continue I'm told to reinstall OS and use Migration Assistant, which is what I was doing.

Thanks

Backups grayed out in Migration Assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.