Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Do I need a new USB drive or is it the CD?

I've had an Apple USB drive for a good few years since I changed from a MacBook to a MacBook Air. I still buy CDs and use iTunes and iPod, as opposed to Apple Music and streaming, so it's an important tool for me.

I've noticed recently that SOME CDs are very "scratchy" at the beginning but clear up, but MOST are still perfectly fine all the way through. I'm really not sure whether I need to buy a new USB Disc Drive or is it just the odd CD quirk (often a CD with a lot of songs on it, greatest hits etc) that I just have to suck up. I'm worried I will shell out £80 on it and it won't actually solve anything...

Any help much obliged. Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 1, 2024 1:29 PM

2 replies

May 3, 2024 7:09 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for the reply - embarrassed to say I hadn't really considered that, largely because I didn't think those things worked with "slot" drives.

I looked at the ones in the link but they don't specifically say they will work with my device either, or does that matter? Does anyone know one that is definitely with the Apple USB Superdrive?

Thanks again.

Do I need a new USB drive or is it the CD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.