Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

I would like to install an early version of OS X Tiger, 10.4, onto my 2010 Mac Mini

I have a 2010 Mac Mini https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac-mini-core-2-duo-2.66-mid-2010-server-specs.html that is now running 10.13.6. I want to downgrade the OS to 10.4 but I keep getting a message about being a PowerPC and unable to do so. I am the original owner of this computer. I also own and have the original installation DVDs for 10.4, 10.58, adn 10.6. I am trying to downgrade so I can read some very old Pro Tools files that the new Pro Tools just will not understand. And as usual, STG/Avid/Pro Tools has been no help. So, I am taking matters into my own hands. If I can install this older version of the Mac OS on my mac mini, I can then install Pro Tools 7 which should be able to read Pro Tools 4 & 5 files. Then I will save the files as later versions and finally be able to open them in the new Pro Tools. So, is there a way for me to install this into my Mac Mini. And yes, I do have an external DVD burner and the DVDs are showing up just fine. Thanks very much!!!

Earlier Mac models

Posted on May 1, 2024 1:09 PM

8 replies

May 1, 2024 3:12 PM in response to rosindabow

ProToos7 requires Tiger 10.4.2 through 10.4.6. And a PowerPC based Mac. The final version (7.4.2 only) would run on Leopard 10.5.3. Details about each release, including requirements & downloads are available here.

If recovering those old ProTools v4 & v5 files is really important to you, you probably need consider getting a used PowermacG4 with Tiger installed. UsedMac has numerous models currently available for under $200.

May 1, 2024 3:36 PM in response to rosindabow

The Mac mini (Mid 2010) originally came with Mac OS X 10.6.3 (Snow Leopard), so it can't run anything earlier. That would be enough to prevent things from working – but on top of that, Apple never sold retail Tiger kits that contained the Intel version of Tiger. They only shipped the Intel version of Tiger pre-installed on and bundled with some of the earliest Intel-based Macs.

If you are seeing an error about being unable to run the installer application on a retail Tiger disc, the reason is likely that High Sierra sees that the code is PowerPC-only and that there is no way to run it. (The last Intel version of Mac OS X to include Rosetta 1 was Snow Leopard. By High Sierra's time, Rosetta 1 was long gone.)

If you could magically get past that, you would then run into the issue of your Mac being too new to run any version of Mac OS X prior to 10.6.3.

May 1, 2024 3:38 PM in response to MartinR

I heard from someone who said that for some reason, Pro Tools 10 is able to open the earlier version of either PT4 or PT5. Do you know anything about that? It's a shame, I just threw out my PowerMac G4, it was taking up too much space. I kept the Mac mini thinking that would be enough to get me through the inevitable situtations like this that arise.

I would like to install an early version of OS X Tiger, 10.4, onto my 2010 Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.