Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

No matter what I do, Mac Music app can't find songs in Library

Seasonally, I go between 2 locations, both of which have 2017 27" iMac's with 2 x 1TB internal SSD's running macOS 13.6.6. One SSD is my Macintosh HD and the other is called HOME, where I have most of my data. I don't want to just move my User folder as I've had issues with that in the past and so I set up files on HOME that mirror the Mac system, i.e. My Music for the Music folder, My Documents for the Documents folder, etc. Also, I don't do Apple Music, so all my songs are in the local Library.

I take a backup from the location I'm leaving, then do a clean OS install on the new location, do a migration to the Macintosh HD and then copy the HOME backup using CCC to the HOME SSD.

Never had this issue before, but this time, while Music app shows the song titles, it cannot locate any of the songs. I have made sure the Music Media folder location is HOME>Music>Music on the new computer, however, nothing is found. I even copied the files to Macintosh HD>user>Music>Music, reset the media folder location to that location, trashed the My Music folder, emptied the trash, and rebooted the computer. Also checked the security settings on the Music and Music/Music folders are set to Read & Write for my user name and have checked "Apply to enclosed items" at the bottom.

I am now at a total loss as to how to proceed, so any assistance anyone could render would be much appreciated.

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on May 1, 2024 1:35 PM

There are no replies.

No matter what I do, Mac Music app can't find songs in Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.