Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Change a key input on Mac foreign language keyboard?

I have a new Ukrainian-English magic keyboard (not silicon) from Apple that I'm using with a 2019 iMac with the latest version of Sonoma. When I choose the Ukrainian keyboard input with system settings, the "і" and the "и" keys are reversed compared to the key symbols printed on the keyboard. Any way to fix this, hopefully without using Terminal app? Obviously, I can't change the printed symbol on the keyboard. I want to change the iMac settings so the text input matches the keyboard. Thanks in advance.

iMac 27″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 1, 2024 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2024 2:39 PM

the "і" and the "и" keys are reversed compared to the key symbols printed on the keyboard. Any way to fix this, hopefully without using Terminal app?

You just need to go to system settings > keyboard > text input > edit > input sources and use the minus button at the bottom to remove the item calledl "Ukrainian legacy". You should have only the item called "Ukrainian" on your list.

Apple Ukrainian Hardware Keyboard: Input… - Apple Community

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2024 2:39 PM in response to Arandel

the "і" and the "и" keys are reversed compared to the key symbols printed on the keyboard. Any way to fix this, hopefully without using Terminal app?

You just need to go to system settings > keyboard > text input > edit > input sources and use the minus button at the bottom to remove the item calledl "Ukrainian legacy". You should have only the item called "Ukrainian" on your list.

Apple Ukrainian Hardware Keyboard: Input… - Apple Community

Change a key input on Mac foreign language keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.