Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

apple saying a hidden network is less secure

hi seen another thread on here but it didn’t really answer the question, why when i’m connected to a known hidden network does apple give me the attached warning advising me to configure it to broadcast? i work in IT and (as much as i know it’s not the only way but) hiding your ssid is like the first step in making a network more secure. can anyone give a decent reason as to why apple would recommend this especially when a lot of apple users aren’t super tech savvy

Posted on May 1, 2024 2:03 PM

1 reply

May 1, 2024 2:14 PM in response to techmakesmesad

Hiding the network name (SSID) will not completely hide your network. It will only hide the network name. It will also not prevent the network from being breached.

When your device is on the internet it will expose information about your home network, or other networks you use.

To secure access to your network it is better to set up WPA2/3

apple saying a hidden network is less secure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.