Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How do I create a unified set up for MacBook alongside Mac mini?

I have a Mac mini 2020 and I just purchased a MacBook Pro 2020. My plan is to use both for the same types of work.

Ideally I would be able to use my MacBook like a mobile setup of my Mac mini, so the same user, same cloud integration (I use iCloud, Dropbox and Google Drive), same apps - but with a different SSD.

Is this possible?

If so, would I use migration assistant to set up the new MacBook, and then keep the Mac mini running as it is?

Thanks for any help on this. I had a look around online, on reddit, and on here, and couldn't find anyone asking this particular question.

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on May 1, 2024 3:14 PM

2 replies

May 2, 2024 9:02 PM in response to DazeBubb

I have done this. It works if you are careful to keep everything synchronized.

I started with Migration Assistant, which means you are synchronized.

Use iCloud for your Documents, Desktop etc.; alternatively, you can simply keep your working files in the cloud, Dropbox, Google Drive will also work. And you can use iCloud for your Safari bookmarks and for KeyChain/Passwords. Firefox has options to keep all your bookmarks synchronized.

Use an IMAP email, which will be synchronized. And use iCloud Messages and iCloud Photos, if those will also be utilized. There are options with Apple Music to keep your Music Library synchronized but you can do this without subscribing.

One thing may require some manual tracking -- when you use various applications on one computer, you may change some preference settings for that application and then you will have to change them on the other Mac as well.

How do I create a unified set up for MacBook alongside Mac mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.