Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How do I convert numbers to words in Pages?

Hey folks. I've seen plenty of very old discussions, but I wonder if there's any "modern" way of doing so on MacOS?

The case is simple:

5 620 -> five thousand six hundred twenty dollars zero cents

in a document (Pages) on MacOS.

Because it seems like the Pages application contains tons of various functions.

I truly doubt that by 2024 there's still no out-of-the-box solution for this.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 1, 2024 3:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2024 10:31 AM

I have updated the Number to Words Shortcut.

• The user input dialog is removed
  • Invoke on selected text in Pages (or other text-based applications)
    • Use keyboard shortcut ⌃⌥N or, right-click and choose Services > Number to Words
    • May be a number with punctuation, a decimal number, or just a number string
  • Some dialog text now uses a larger font for better legibility
  • Scrollable text in dialog remains selectable with three clicks and can be copy/pasted elsewhere
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2024 10:31 AM in response to somebody_once_told_me

I have updated the Number to Words Shortcut.

• The user input dialog is removed
  • Invoke on selected text in Pages (or other text-based applications)
    • Use keyboard shortcut ⌃⌥N or, right-click and choose Services > Number to Words
    • May be a number with punctuation, a decimal number, or just a number string
  • Some dialog text now uses a larger font for better legibility
  • Scrollable text in dialog remains selectable with three clicks and can be copy/pasted elsewhere

May 2, 2024 8:01 AM in response to somebody_once_told_me

somebody_once_told_me wrote:

So just to wrap my head around. The way with the Shorcut (sounds like the simplest way).
I have my number 4205• somewhere on the Pages document
I select the number • with the mouse
I use some combination of keys• (right?) and the result comes to the clipboard

Is that the way it works? If something like that, then I'd be very grateful if you could instruct me what should I do

That was my original goal to be able to select a number in Pages, but having trouble getting a selected number into the Shortcut (without first copying that number to the clipboard). Should work, but doesn't. If that were possible, then yes, it would expand that number to words and place that string on the clipboard.

What I have right now is a dialog that prompts you for a comma-separated, or plain number, converts that to words, and then displays the result as a horizontally scrollable (and selectable) string of words in a subsequent dialog. Instead of the clipboard, one can select from the dialog and paste it elsewhere.

May 2, 2024 6:26 AM in response to somebody_once_told_me

Using a Shortcuts application, I can prompt you for the numeric input, and the Shortcut will convert that number to words on the clipboard. Alternatively, it can be written to display the words in a dialog. The latter will have the flaw that the larger numbers wording will wrap.

4205 = four thousand two hundred five

Taking selected numeric text from Pages and doing the above has proven problematic so far…

May 2, 2024 8:22 AM in response to somebody_once_told_me

Here is a link to the Shortcut discussed above. When you click the link, it will ask if you want to install the Shortcut. Once you do that, it will be added to your Shortcuts and named Number to Words.

This Shortcut is locale aware and the word spelling will be in the first Preferred language set in Language and Region.

Tested: macOS Sonoma 14.4.1.

Note: Owing to the age and Shortcut evolution, this Shortcut may not work on macOS Monterey, and cannot work on earlier operating systems where Shortcuts were not available.

I will continue to work on a solution to get a selected number in Pages into this solution, and will post back should I succeed.

May 2, 2024 6:56 AM in response to VikingOSX

So just to wrap my head around. The way with the Shorcut (sounds like the simplest way).

• I have my number 4205 somewhere on the Pages document
  • I select the number with the mouse
  • I use some combination of keys (right?) and the result comes to the clipboard

Is that the way it works? If something like that, then I'd be very grateful if you could instruct me what should I do

May 2, 2024 2:30 PM in response to somebody_once_told_me

I know that the ^⌥N shortcut works in Pages v14 on Sonoma 14.4.1. If you choose a different keyboard shortcut that clashes with a reserved keyboard shortcut in Pages, nothing will happen when attempting to use the keyboard shortcut.

All one has to do with the Shortcut is triple-click on the scrollable text and copy to the clipboard if that is needed.

May 2, 2024 3:22 PM in response to somebody_once_told_me

If you guys are looking for the same thing as me (i.e. converting 32.40 to thirty-two dollars zero cents), please take this script.

Once you select a number and press the control + option + M, the result will be put to your clipboard.

You can change it to control + option + N, when you open the shortcut.

Special thanks to @VikingOSX for help

How do I convert numbers to words in Pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.