Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

A very fussy case of "XXXX will damage your computer"

I am attempting to run a Rust script in Terminal. When I issue the cargo command, I get the dreaded message:

I have used both malwarebytes and etrecheck to look for malware - all clean. Then I read and followed directions from John Galt's excellent article:

About those "<app> will damage your… - Apple Community

My LaunchAgents/LaunchDaemons folders look pretty clean (see below), but I'm still getting the error.

Seems like others were getting the error when their computer would start up, or otherwise frequently, whereas I'm getting it only when I attempt to run a Rust program. I used an old git branch for the same Rust call and the error still appears, so I don't think it has anything to do with the script itself. (But I could be wrong of course!)

A colleague using the same tools with the same OS (Sonoma) is getting the same error...

Does anyone have any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 1, 2024 3:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2024 9:56 AM

Problem solved by removing cargo (the rust build tool) and reinstalling rust/cargo with Terminal using curl. Thanks!

3 replies

May 1, 2024 3:55 PM in response to 7dimensions

7dimensions wrote:

I am attempting to run a Rust script in Terminal. When I issue the cargo command, I get the dreaded message:
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/c559c17b-b12b-499f-9b47-dd509e55572f
I have used both malwarebytes and etrecheck to look for malware - all clean. Then I read and followed directions from John Galt's excellent article:
About those "<app> will damage your… - Apple Community

My LaunchAgents/LaunchDaemons folders look pretty clean (see below), but I'm still getting the error.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/31b2df17-520c-4f93-bc1b-564b07bd28f6

Seems like others were getting the error when their computer would start up, or otherwise frequently, whereas I'm getting it only when I attempt to run a Rust program. I used an old git branch for the same Rust call and the error still appears, so I don't think it has anything to do with the script itself. (But I could be wrong of course!)

A colleague using the same tools with the same OS (Sonoma) is getting the same error...

Does anyone have any suggestions?

what is the "Rust script"...?

what is the "Rust program"...?

what I can say by looking at some of your screenshots above—

Third party AntiVirus is not recommended— it typically does nothing but add issues to the macOS and competes directly with Apple’s own built in security:

macOS - Security - Apple macOS - Security - Apple

Apple Platform Security - Apple Apple Platform Security - Apple Support

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

May 15, 2024 2:34 AM in response to 7dimensions

According to one of the images supplied.

Although it was reported as solved by" removing cargo (the rust build tool) and reinstalling rust/cargo with Terminal using curl. "

There is more than the 1 issue still at play

Third Party Security Software 

avira antivirus 

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

The Operating System resides in a Sealed and Read Only Volume that cannot be opened by the User nor by Third Party Applications.

A very fussy case of "XXXX will damage your computer"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.