This mac ALWAYS tries to open .psd files with Preview no matter how many times I change the .psd default

I'm trying to use a program called Photopea which is basically Photoshop, but free. And this computer refuses to remember to use Photopea to open .psd files.

The first picture below just shows that it wants to open photoshop files with preview even I have changed it every single day for the last 4-5 days, including earlier today. And the second picture is me changing it to Photopea (before I hit "Change all..."). After I tell it to change all, it will work for at least a few minutes, as I type this I can see that Photopea is set as "default" for .psd files. The problem is that it keeps reverting back to Preview for these files.

The exact amount of time until it resets is hard to say because I usually only open one file, work on it from a couple minutes to a couple hours, close out of the program, and don't open another .psd file for at least a couple hours or possibly not until the next day. In the last week I've probably set Photopea as the default for psd's a dozen times.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.5

Posted on May 1, 2024 3:47 PM

There are no replies.

This mac ALWAYS tries to open .psd files with Preview no matter how many times I change the .psd default

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.