Problems updating numbers version

I am having problems updating my numbers version from 6.1 to 14.0. Or the latest one possible. I am running iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) on 12.7.4 with 32gb ram. My immediate problem is I cannot cross sync a numbers file from my desktop to my iCloud account. I used to be able to do this when I was running High Sierra but it appears not to work anymore. Can anyone suggest a solution or workaround please? Many thanks, Julian

iMac 27″, macOS 12.7

Posted on May 1, 2024 4:08 PM

4 replies

May 1, 2024 4:53 PM in response to julianD123

On Mac OS 12.7.4 the highest Numbers version will be 13.1. That's where I'm stuck. I can upgrade the OS and Numbers a little further on one of my computers but then it won't be compatible with my other one and it still won't be at the latest.

I am able to use my Numbers files between iCloud and my Macs but I cannot "collaborate" using the Mac version. When I want to work on the same file on both computers I save it online (Dropbox) and work on that file. I assume saving on iCloud Drive would do the same.

May 1, 2024 4:45 PM in response to julianD123

I have just managed to update my Numbers version from 6.1 to 13.1. I am running iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) on 12.7.4 with 32gb ram. My immediate problem is that despite the upgrade I still can not cross sync a numbers file from my desktop to my iCloud account. I used to be able to do this when I was running High Sierra but it appears not to work anymore. Can anyone suggest a solution or workaround please? Many thanks, Julian

May 1, 2024 5:09 PM in response to Badunit

Thanks for your reply. Yes that would be the same problem. So in fact I can see that if I work on the file on my desktop and then save it on my desktop and then re-save it on the iCloud Drive they will be in sync. Then I can only use the iCloud Drive as read only because if I make any changes on iCloud it will not be reflected on my desktop version. It's not what I wanted but at least it won't get in a mess. It should only be a simple thing to do and I would expect more from Apple!!

Many thanks.

May 1, 2024 6:54 PM in response to julianD123

Why not save to iCloud Drive directly from Numbers on your Mac and open it from iCloud Drive when you want to edit it? Saving it to the HD then making a copy to iCloud Drive is going to burn you at some point.

I think the only functionality we are missing is the ability for two or more people to work on the same document at the same time and both/all seeing the changes roll in. Without collaboration, only one person can work on it at a time. If you are the only one working on your documents, this should be perfectly fine for you.

Problems updating numbers version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.