Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Why can't I set up POP in apple mail?

I've read about and tried about everything I can to set up a POP account in apple mail. But I end up here with the message "unable to verify acct". The password and email are correct. I did this once in the past - but now I don't know how I did it. I thought I remember a way to bypass this window in an unexpected way.

[for reasons I don't want to go into - please understand I DO want this to be a POP account. Yes I'm 100% sure] :)

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 1, 2024 10:34 PM

2 replies

May 1, 2024 10:58 PM in response to kidquotes

To set up POP do the following:

select add an account and pick "other account"

on next screen put in a fake email and password, then on the next screen use your real name and PW and pick POP account

What have you tried?

In order to create a POP account, you have to enter bogus information for the initial account setup. That will cause it to go into a manual setup mode. You can then change the type and the correct credentials. However, I don't know if it will contact Gmail's authorization system.

Yes, you have to allow less secure apps in your Google account settings. See:

https://support.google.com/mail/thread/16821029/i-need-a-pop-account-for-gmail-with-mac-mail?hl=en

Why can't I set up POP in apple mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.