Is the HomePod 2 mono?

A few months ago I got myself a HomePod 2. The sound spectrum was good (clear sounding with good bass). However I couldn't detect any channel separation. Audio was centred on the speaker itself.

I activated the Apple Music trial. I played Spatial Audio tracks. I played stereo music with strong effects (e.g. Queen's "Now I'm here"). Everything came from the one spot.

I bought an Apple TV 4K and heard no effects.

I've taken the HomePod into an Apple service place. They said no hardware malfunctions. I was told I'd need 2 HomePods to hear stereo.

I pointed out the claims on Apple's website talking about being enveloped in sound with voices centred and instruments from behind. They couldn't help.

I rang Apple and described the problem. The guy told me it's a mono speaker and he's sorry if the experience doesn't match my expectations.

He couldn't tell me how a mono device was able to make different instruments come from different directions as the website described. I didn't have a lot of faith in his knowledge.

Where I'm located there aren't any stores I can find with a HomePod set up for demonstration that I can compare to.

Does anyone out there have a HomePod (non-pair) and get any sort of channel separation from it?

HomePod (2nd generation)

Posted on May 1, 2024 11:41 PM

13 replies

May 8, 2024 4:28 PM in response to xreflexx

I think you are confusing the use of Surround Sound and Stereo Sound.

Stereo sound is going to require 2 speakers as there is a Left channel of sound and a Right Channel of sound. There needs to be some distance between the Left speaker and the Right speaker in order to differentiate between these 2 channels. Apple does offer a guide on creating a Stereo pair with 2 HomePods.

Set up a HomePod stereo pair - Apple Support

Surround Sound and specifically the Dolby Atmos standard directs frequencies in different locations. This can be done with a single unit that houses many speakers such as the Home Pod. Dolby Atmos requires a speaker pointing up to bounce sound off of the ceiling. Think about a plane flying overhead that you want the sound to seem like it is above you. The main voice is going to come straight at you while ambient noises such as birds chirping use directional tweeters that bounce the sound off the walls.

As with any Home Entertainment system, the more speakers you have, the better the sound. Dolby Atmos can be reproduced with 1 speaker unit, but the standard can also use up to 12 speakers. This includes 2 speakers mounted in the ceiling above the TV as well as side speakers and rear speakers along with left, center and right front speakers. Instead of relying on bouncing the sound off of the ceiling and walls, you can actually have speakers in those locations.

It all depends on how much money you want to spend. For excellent sound quality when listening to Music and for watching Movies, 2 HomePods set up as a stereo pair is going to give you unmatched sound quality in the $600 price range.

May 10, 2024 2:38 AM in response to xreflexx

I have the gen 2 HomePod but with two, stereo paired. When used in this set up there is stereo. With only one it’s not going to sound like this. It should be noted there is no EQ.

I tested the Queen song on the paired gen 2 and it’s in stereo. I’m not going to unpair those HomePods to test only one but I tested on just one OG HomePod and it’s not stereo. You need more than one to have stereo sound.

Make sure you’ve set it up correctly on your Apple TV: Set up home theater audio with HomePod or HomePod mini and Apple TV 4K - Apple Support

Once you’ve set up the HomePod, place on a solid surface not too close to walls or other objects, Don’t use those hollow metal stands that people buy for them. They take time to calibrate to their new surroundings. If you don’t like it you can try a different spot.

Set up HomePod - Apple Support

May 8, 2024 3:57 PM in response to MrHoffman

MrHoffman wrote:

As per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereophonic_sound and other resources as well as the Apple tech specs, two speakers are required for stereo. Or more speakers and more channels of course (e.g. 5.1), if the audio system hardware and the media encoding supports that playback.

Forgiving my insolence, I do have a couple of issues with this. Ok, make that 3 issues…

1. Apple's tech spec's don't actually state that 2 HomePods are required for stereo sound – rather "even more dynamic as a duo".
  2. The HomePod isn't a single speaker. It's 6 speakers in one enclosure, with the ability to choose which direction to send the sound (for reflecting off walls).
  3. My earlier point – if 2 speakers are needed for stereo, how many are needed for surround?

Everything suggests if a single HomePod can't do stereo, it can't do surround. And Apple's tech spec's say it does surround.

I'll be satisfied my HomePod is doing what it's claimed to when someone can explain how surround is possible without stereo.

(Note: I'm not getting surround either).

May 10, 2024 3:19 AM in response to Vancouver22

Sorry, I'd like to throw in one more question to everyone reading this…

Would anyone reading Apple's description of the HomePod (not a pair) expect it to simulate audio from multiple directions, given that the marketing uses phrases such as:

• fully immersive
  • surrounds you in immersive audio
  • Sound all around
  • surround sound
  • surrounded in music like never before
  • Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos
  • theatre experience

If everyone can read that and expect a mono experience, then I have a different understanding of English.

May 10, 2024 7:34 AM in response to xreflexx

The only one I the list I would consider a stretch on a single HomePod would be "theater experience", the rest simply describe the operation of an Atmos speaker that directs sounds to different areas. In a movie, an airplane sound is marked as a sound object, with details about the location and volume level, so it will play on the top facing speaker to bounce off the ceiling. Birds or other ambient sounds will be bounced off the walls using any combination of the 5 directional speakers depending on where the sound should appear to come from. It knows which speaker is next to the wall by learning the environment it is in with the microphones in the HomePod to measure the sound reflections.

As I said, one sounds good, but 2 sounds great whether listening to Music or watching a Movie. If you do not like the sound from the single HomePod, then I would suggest either:

• Return it. You have 14 days to return the HomePod for a full refund.
  • Try another. If you are still not happy with the stereo pair, you can return them both within 14 days.

I would never recommend a single HomePod to a person looking for a Home Entertainment experience while watching a movie, even though a single HomePod can direct sound to different locations such, as birds and planes. In this case you really need to be comparing the cost of 2 HomePods($600) with that of another Atmos setup to truly measure how much you want to pay to achieve the sound quality you want.

May 6, 2024 7:26 PM in response to xreflexx

I single HomePod is mono. You will need 2 HomePods for stereo with one playing the Left channel and the other playing the right channel.

The HomePod is marketed as room filling because it learns the room by listening for the reflections of sound to sense where the walls are. The sound is separated by frequencies so the vocal range appears to come straight at you, while ambient high frequency sounds are reflected off any walls. The low frequencies are tuned for the woofer to give sound a bass punch that you can feel.

One HomePod sounds good, but 2 as a stereo pair is great. If music is your passion, then 2 of them is a must.

May 6, 2024 8:18 PM in response to xreflexx

Thank you for your replies.

So you're saying that Apple's claims of "being surrounded in music like never before" and that it "surrounds you in immersive audio" are referring to a single audio channel echoing off the walls?

How does a mono audio source do Dolby Atmos which (AFAIK) relies upon phase and timing differences to simulate location when true speakers aren't present?

Reading Apple's blurb I was expecting the woofer to be non-directional, and the tweeters to send separate channels in different directions, using the walls to bounce the separate audio to the listener.

In any case, I'm really disappointed. Just tried it with a Dolby Atmos movie and all the action was coming from right in front. Looks like I'll be taking this speaker back and asking for a refund (also considering laying a complaint regarding misleading advertising).

May 6, 2024 8:42 PM in response to xreflexx

xreflexx wrote:

Thank you for your replies.

So you're saying that Apple's claims of "being surrounded in music like never before" and that it "surrounds you in immersive audio" are referring to a single audio channel echoing off the walls?

How does a mono audio source do Dolby Atmos which (AFAIK) relies upon phase and timing differences to simulate location when true speakers aren't present?

Reading Apple's blurb I was expecting the woofer to be non-directional, and the tweeters to send separate channels in different directions, using the walls to bounce the separate audio to the listener.

In any case, I'm really disappointed. Just tried it with a Dolby Atmos movie and all the action was coming from right in front. Looks like I'll be taking this speaker back and asking for a refund (also considering laying a complaint regarding misleading advertising).

As per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereophonic_sound and other resources as well as the Apple tech specs, two speakers are required for stereo. Or more speakers and more channels of course (e.g. 5.1), if the audio system hardware and the media encoding supports that playback.

May 8, 2024 8:29 PM in response to Mac Jim ID

Mac Jim ID wrote:

I think you are confusing the use of Surround Sound and Stereo Sound.

I don't believe so. However if I was confused, I wouldn't believe so until I wasn't confused. 🫤

Stereo sound is going to require 2 speakers as there is a Left channel of sound and a Right Channel of sound. There needs to be some distance between the Left speaker and the Right speaker in order to differentiate between these 2 channels.

Starting with things which should be self-evident. Stereo sound requires 2 channels coming from 2 directions. Surround requires at least 4 channels from 4 directions. Dolby requires more than this. Would I be correct so far?

If the HomePod (also soundbars, Dolby up firing speakers etc) can create these virtual directions by bouncing differentiated audio tracks off walls / ceilings, how is it it can't cope with 2 tracks?

Surround Sound and specifically the Dolby Atmos standard directs frequencies in different locations.

TBH (Unless I read the sentence incorrectly, which I may have as there is a little ambiguity) I think you know better than this and were taking a short-cut. Surround and Dolby definitely don't separate based on frequency. If that was the case, there would be no ability to make an object (whether bird tweeting, car driving past or helicopter flying overhead) move from one location to another.

In any case, my actual issue is I don't get any surround effects from my HomePod. Not stereo (it was just the easiest to test). Not Dolby. Nothing. All audio I detect comes from right where the speaker is located.

I'm trying to ascertain whether my speaker is faulty, or whether the claims (for a single HomePod) are false.

If someone can say "yes, I have a single HomePod and get surround sound" then I'll be confident it's a faulty unit and will ask for a replacement. If they don't, I'll be laying a complaint for false advertising. Unfortunately I don't know anyone else who has one to see if my situation is unique / expected.

May 10, 2024 3:09 AM in response to Vancouver22

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Vancouver22 wrote:

I tested the Queen song on the paired gen 2 and it’s in stereo. I’m not going to unpair those HomePods to test only one but I tested on just one OG HomePod and it’s not stereo. You need more than one to have stereo sound.

If you could clarify one more thing for me…

Were you able to get any surround effects from the one HomePod? I'm trying to ascertain that as the advertisement explicitly says "Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos" (without mentioning a pair).

As mentioned, I queried stereo as that's easier to test, and if it can't do stereo it can't do surround (unless someone can explain how 7 channels are possible but 2 aren't).

It seems quite straightforward. If one HomePod can't create a surrounding sound, it's not what's claimed. If it can (and yes, I've tried multiple rooms – by walls, in corners, centred in a room / 1m from the wall – and over multiple days) but mine can't, it's faulty.

BTW that link you included was useful. The line from there: "Use a HomePod, HomePod mini, or a stereo pair with your Apple TV 4K to create a theater experience with Dolby Atmos or surround sound right in your home" reinforces that surround is to be expected from a single HomePod (even a mini, which surprises me).

I'm pretty sure all audio coming from one spot doesn't qualify as a "theatre experience".

May 10, 2024 3:01 PM in response to Mac Jim ID

Mac Jim ID wrote:

• The only one I the list I would consider a stretch on a single HomePod would be "theater experience", the rest simply describe the operation of an Atmos speaker that directs sounds to different areas.

Ok. I'd not seen it that way previously. To me, "surround" / "Atmos" means different audio channels hitting the listener from different directions to simulate the sensation of sources all around them (i.e. the "surround" part).

So you're saying that these words (Atmos / surround) actually mean the speaker sends audio outward in all directions (omnidirectional) and everyone gets to hear the same mono track no matter where they are?

I really didn't get that from reading the description of the terms online.

e.g. "multiple audio channels from speakers that surround the listener"

Currently we have Mac Jim ID interpreting the phrase "surround sound" as a mono audio track emanating from a single location but radiated in all directions (which is what I'm currently getting from the HomePod). Do we have a consensus on that?

Wish there was a voting feature on this forum. 🤣

Return it. You have 14 days to return the HomePod for a full refund.
• Try another. If you are still not happy with the stereo pair, you can return them both within 14 days.

Would love to. However just this discussion has lasted 10 days. I had it with a service place for a week testing for hardware faults (then they tell me they only check whether it does basic functionality) plus a few weeks of trying to get an answer from Apple. (we don't have Apple Stores where I am.)

Is the HomePod 2 mono?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.