Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Xcode keeps deleting it's own 17.0 runtimes

I'm running some selenium grid tests on two mac minis over Github Actions, the problem that keeps happening is that the iOS 17.0 runtime keeps getting deleted for no reason, so all the simulators just disappear! When I try to re-install it will installl "iOS 17.0 simulator" and won't let me install the "iOS 17" runtime.

Xcode 15.0

Ventura: 13.6.1 (22G313)

Posted on May 2, 2024 3:33 AM

3 replies

May 6, 2024 9:06 AM in response to MrHoffman

I am not able to personally test any other versions of Xcode, but this also appears to be affecting others on different versions of Xcode as well:

iOS 17.x not installed | Apple Developer Forums

It's also possibly listed as a known issue in the release notes for xcode 15.3 (the issue matches, though I never personally saw that error message). If it is the same issue, it clearly is affecting earlier versions as well: Xcode 15.3 Release Notes | Apple Developer Documentation

There's a stackoverflow link listed in the Apple forums thread I linked above (which involves force upgrading to XProtect 133) and those instructions have (so far) seemed to work for me. Hopefully it sticks, I can't be sure it works since I don't know how to force reproduce the problem.

May 2, 2024 7:50 AM in response to _Theo

Same thing here with the runtime, lost the iOS 17.0 simulator runtime on at least 8 mac pro machines now. Strangely, restarting seems to fix it at least temporarily, while a couple of machines had the issue recur twice.

At first, I tried to reinstall using `xcodebuild -downloadPlatform ios` and that downloaded 17.0 again but didn't make the runtime available until restart. Then I found out that I could restart without running any commands and the runtime would appear in the list again.

It's not affecting all machines at onces... it has been sporadic since yesterday.

Also running Xcode 15.0 with Ventura, but it did occur on one machine with Sonoma.

Xcode keeps deleting it's own 17.0 runtimes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.