Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

One AirPod (2nd gen) sometimes doesn’t connect on first try

Hello, I’ve been using my 2nd gen AirPods for a few years now, and they’ve been acting a bit strange for about a year. When I take out the right earbud it sometimes just doesn’t connect on the first try. When taking both out there’s a chance that only the left one connects. This happens about 65% of the time. However, putting one (or both) back, closing the lid for a split second and then taking them back out “fixes” this, meaning they will both connect on the second try.

This only happens after them having been inside the case for a prolonged time, a few hours at minimum.

I do clean my case sometimes so the connectors inside the case are clean. Charging works correctly so I don’t think it’s the battery being empty. Neither restarting my phone nor the AirPods stopped this from happening. 

How can I fix this for good, prevent this from happening in the long run?

The sound also sometimes becomes shredded (about 5% of the times I use them) and I want to fix that for good as well, but that might be better to ask in a separate thread. 

For info, I prefer my audio playback to not stop when taking out one earbud so I have ear detection turned off. 

iPhone: 14 Pro, iOS 17.3

AirPods: model A2031, firmware version 6A321.

AirPods (2nd generation)

Posted on May 2, 2024 5:20 AM

1 reply

One AirPod (2nd gen) sometimes doesn’t connect on first try

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.