Why is there a Dashboard Space in Sonoma? How to erase it?

Hi all,

I am working on macOS 14.4.1 and I am having an issue with the Desktop Spaces feature.

Calling

defaults read com.apple.spaces.plist

gives me a list of all current spaces, which reports the existence of a phantom Space that cannot be seen nor interacted with. The ID of that Space leads me to the following:

which shows that space 23 is associated with the Dashboard feature, that does not exist in Sonoma!

I have tried to:

- restart the computer,

- forcefully disable the dashboard with

defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES
killall Dock

Neither attempt erased the phantom Space, which creates conflicts in my setup.

Is there a command to restart the Spaces feature, to completely erase all spaces and check if this removes this phantom Space? Otherwise, any alternative suggestions?

Thank you,

Mac mini (2018)

Posted on May 2, 2024 6:23 AM

11 replies

May 2, 2024 10:59 AM in response to Tplobo

Tplobo wrote:

Hi all,

I am working on macOS 14.4.1 and I am having an issue with the Desktop Spaces feature.

Calling
defaults read com.apple.spaces.plist
gives me a list of all current spaces, which reports the existence of a phantom Space that cannot be seen nor interacted with. The ID of that Space leads me to the following:
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/4ed1554c-c2b1-4d19-843e-20fd36c953c9
which shows that space 23 is associated with the Dashboard feature, that does not exist in Sonoma!

I have tried to:
- restart the computer,
- forcefully disable the dashboard with
defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES
killall Dock
Neither attempt erased the phantom Space, which creates conflicts in my setup.

Is there a command to restart the Spaces feature, to completely erase all spaces and check if this removes this phantom Space? Otherwise, any alternative suggestions?

Thank you,

Maybe if you state what kind of problem you are having with Spaces would be insightful...

ref: See open windows and spaces in Mission Control on Mac

Dashboard has been replaced...ref: Dashboard Widgets - Apple Community

Dashboard would be associated with Widgets

Add and customize widgets on Mac

May 3, 2024 9:15 AM in response to Tplobo

Tplobo wrote:

The issues I am having are that this phantom space prevents any software that reads the Spaces state, to save it, from working correctly (e.g. DisplayMaid, Workspaces). In particular, I am now developing a Hammerspoon module to do just that, to

set it precisely to my liking: https://github.com/tplobo/restore-spaces.

Listing the spaces to cycle through them always reports this phantom space, and since it cannot be identified as the "non-existing" one (up until the time it breaks one of the Lua commands that manage spaces), I am unable to continue development.

Sorry I have nothing to add here.

from your reference above:

May 2, 2024 11:43 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for the reply leroydouglas.

I have tried completely disabling Widgets in the Preferences, closing all apps, deleting every space (including the "current" one, by creating a new one to substitute it) and restarting the Mac.

The id of the dashboard space has changed:

but it is still there. I do not know which step changed its id, because to my knowledge the `com.apple.spaces.plist` file takes a while to be updated. But no hints on how to erase it.

Thanks for the reply IdrisSeabright. To answer both:

The issues I am having are that this phantom space prevents any software that reads the Spaces state, to save it, from working correctly (e.g. DisplayMaid, Workspaces). In particular, I am now developing a Hammerspoon module to do just that, to set it precisely to my liking: https://github.com/tplobo/restore-spaces. Listing the spaces to cycle through them always reports this phantom space, and since it cannot be identified as the "non-existing" one (up until the time it breaks one of the Lua commands that manage spaces), I am unable to continue development.

May 3, 2024 3:41 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

The issues I am having are that this phantom space prevents any software that reads the Spaces state, to save it, from working correctly (e.g. DisplayMaid, Workspaces). In particular, I am now developing a Hammerspoon module to do just that, to set it precisely to my liking: https://github.com/tplobo/restore-spaces. Listing the spaces to cycle through them always reports this phantom space, and since it cannot be identified as the "non-existing" one (up until the time it breaks one of the Lua commands that manage spaces), I am unable to continue development.

(vide reply above)

May 3, 2024 7:31 AM in response to Tplobo

Tplobo wrote:

Thanks for the reply IdrisSeabright. To answer both:

Fair enough. I will leave you in leroydouglas's capable hands. As this seems to be, in part, a development question, you may want to consider also posting in the Developer forums. You might get some additional perspectives.

Best of luck.

May 4, 2024 12:45 AM in response to Barney-15E

Hey @Barney-15E, thanks for the reply.

I have not communicated it to them. But honestly, I never even thought about it because I stopped trying to use these apps, since they do not do exactly what I need and thus I never bought any of them. That's why I started developing my own code.

I'll check if they might have any insight, thanks for the suggestion.

Why is there a Dashboard Space in Sonoma? How to erase it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.