MacOS Sonoma crashes every night

This is driving me nuts because of all the stuff that comes with a restart.

Im running macOS Sonoma Version 14.4.1 (23E224) on Mac Mini M2 Pro 2023.

For some reason it crashes every night.

Mac mini (M2 Pro, 2023)

Posted on May 2, 2024 7:28 AM

7 replies

May 2, 2024 3:55 PM in response to jarloried98

This is something that I had going on with my Mac mini a few weeks ago as well. The mini was a brand new M2 mini and it was from the first day that I put it in service. Now it has been working great and doesn't do this anymore, but I had to do some digging to try to figure out what it is. There was some 3rd party software that was causing the issue, but there is issues that the minis have with waking up from sleep and they will either freeze or restart like you're seeing.

What I ended up doing was turning off some 3rd party apps background permissions away and this was from a suggestion from Apple Customer Service. To get to where this is at Goto System Settings > General > Login Items and you'll see an area there with "Allow in the background". If you don't need the software doing stuff in the background, you can turn it off. If you need it, then you won't want to turn it off, but I turned all mine off because most of it I didn't need it to do stuff in the background, just while I'm using it so turning it off was no big deal. That being said, Apple did mention that it was most likely Discord which I did turn off background access and but I did other ones too as I didn't feel like trying to test all the different ones. I just figured if I don't need it, there is no need to keep it on. That being said, it has completely solved the issue and my Mac mini no longer restarts every night.

May 4, 2024 6:51 PM in response to jarloried98

jarloried98 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. But this was not a problem till just a few weeks ago. It's annoying coming from Apple.

I understand that this is something that has just started, I was simply stating that mine was doing this from new because it happened with a brand new Mac mini. Not that it had to be brand new for this to happen. Is there something new that you installed? Is there a new program that you are leaving open at night? Also have you checked in the Login Items area for programs that have access to work in background? Checking in here, you may be able to find something that is causing the issue. There could be a program or app that has been updated that is now causing this issue.

Also you can try what hcsitas posted as preventing it from sleeping will most likely stop this behavior as well. If you don't wish to turn that off, then I suggest that you search in the area I listed to see if there is something that you can turn off that you don't need to see if that is what did it. I was able to find the culprit by doing this and didn't need to turn off the sleep ability and everything is working great now, so it was a suggestion for you.

MacOS Sonoma crashes every night

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.