Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Can't paste into Pages from Chrome

Can anyone explain why I can't paste text from Chrome and/or Arc into Pages?

I can paste the text into notepad or BBEdit but if I try to paste into Pages I get a spinning beachball and then nothing happens.

Apple has tinkered with the pasting functions (including formatting by default vs. just pasting plain text) over the last few MacOS versions. Is this the reason for the broken pasting from Chrome.

I'm running Ventura 13.5.1 and Pages 14.0

Posted on May 2, 2024 12:09 PM

1 reply

May 2, 2024 1:27 PM in response to Glenstorm

Because Google Chrome places content on the clipboard that is incompatible with what Pages was designed to accept via paste. Recently, I encountered a post where the OP had problems copying/pasting text from GMail into Pages. I wrote a Shortcuts application that allows one to select the text and then right-click and choose the Shortcut name from the Services menu. It then does text conversion and places the result on the clipboard so one can just visit Pages and perform a Paste.

I just used that Shortcut in The Brave browser to copy text from a website and it pasted nicely as plain text in Pages.

Here is the link GMail to Clipboard Shortcut. When you click that link, you will be asked if you want to install the Shortcut. Do so. The Shortcut name is just a name, and you can change it if you want.

Can't paste into Pages from Chrome

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.