Sonoma on my 2023 MacBook Pro and High Sierra on My New (new to me) 2017 MacBook Air

Hello..!

I have a 2023 MacBook Pro running Sonoma and I just purchased (I don't have it yet) a factory refurbished 2017 MacBook Air which I believe the last iOS update for that model is High Sierra. I got a great deal on the MacBook Air $210 and I wanted it because I frequently travel about an hour from my home office every other weekend (wanting to leave my MacBook Pro at home) and also for some redundancy in the event something happens to my MacBook Pro.

My question is are there any set-up tips when the MacBook Air arrives (Set up as a new computer..?) and any hick-ups on running 2 machines virtually side-by-side on different operating systems..? Thanks in advance and Cheers..!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 2, 2024 12:26 PM

3 replies

May 2, 2024 12:45 PM in response to My Apple Rocks!

A 2107 MacBook Air can be upgraded to macOS Monterey. See the following from Identify your MacBook Air model - Apple Support

MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017)

Year introduced: 2017

Model Identifier: MacBookAir7,2

Part Numbers: MQD32xx/A, MQD42xx/A, MQD52xx/A

Newest compatible operating system: macOS Monterey

Tech Specs: MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017)

User Guide: MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017)

Also re "a factory refurbished 2017 MacBook Air" if you mean refurbished by Apple, to my knowledge they to not sell anything refurbished other than items listed in Certified Refurbished Products - Apple and that does not list anything from that long ago.

May 2, 2024 2:11 PM in response to My Apple Rocks!

You should have no issue setting it up with your Apple ID and password the same as if it was a new device. Having multiple Apple IDs is almost never a good idea.

What the previous owner should have done: What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac - Apple Support

What you should be able to do: Set up your iMac - Apple Support

Sonoma on my 2023 MacBook Pro and High Sierra on My New (new to me) 2017 MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.