Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Troubleshoot connecting external monitors to Macbook Air

Hi All:

I have a 2022 Macbook Air with the M2 chip, having some trouble connecting to dual monitors. In the event it's an issue, I have a work-issued PC dock (IBM Thinkpad) that connects to two monitors, mouse, keyboard. I connects via USB, I'm using a USB-C adapter to connect to the Mac. The Mac is detecting both the mouse and keyboard, though neither monitor is detected. I've used system -> displays, held down the Option key, though the 'detect' box that appears is greyed out and nothing happens when I press it. Is this just a sign of total incompatibility or am I missing something? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Posted on May 2, 2024 1:11 PM

2 replies

May 2, 2024 2:35 PM in response to tfoss78

The M2 MacBook Air only supports one external monitor.

Since the dock that you are using connects via USB-A, it can’t be using your Mac’s native hardware-accelerated display support. It must be using some workaround that requires installation of software on your MacBook Air that you do not have installed. So your Mac isn’t sending any display updates to the external “stunt box” and there is nothing for that “stunt box” to display.

Troubleshoot connecting external monitors to Macbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.