Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Unable to transfer iMovie project stuck on "Export File"

After using iMovie to edit two 30-second mp4 clips, a JPEG, three transitions and a detached audio track into a 53-second video, selecting "Export File" does nothing. Rebooting the app or the Mac Mini hasn't helped. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Dick

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Mac mini, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 2, 2024 3:09 PM

7 replies

May 2, 2024 3:25 PM in response to DHuitema

I would check your storage. Sometimes it’s an issue with storage. I would also check to make sure that all the clips and such that you used in the movie are still downloaded to your device. I had issues before where I had deleted the original file and I couldn’t download the new clip/project in iMovie because the original file wasn’t in my gallery.

May 3, 2024 7:36 AM in response to tbirdvet

Thanks tbirdvet,

I used the Share icon in the upper right corner of the iMovie screen, but I've now tried your suggestion but had the same result. In fact, none of the Share options work.

I'm suspecting an omission in the new Sanoma 14.4.1 to which I recently upgraded. Is there a way to revert to an earlier OS?

Dick

May 3, 2024 1:07 PM in response to tbirdvet

tbirdvet,

I am amazed to report that was the problem. Thanks!!

I accept all updates for my apps when notified they are available, so I assumed iMovie was up to date. I am very surprised that notification of the last iMovie update arrived TODAY while it's been available since November. I can see spreading the updates for all iMovie users over several days, but not five months!

Thanks again!

Dick

May 3, 2024 7:16 PM in response to DHuitema

So, it does absolutely nothing -- no export settings box?

In any event, try deleting/resetting preferences. To delete/reset preferences, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new empty library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if you can export. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes. Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

You might also try creating a new test project, with different media and see it can be exported. Try other already created projects as well.

-- Rich

May 4, 2024 5:48 AM in response to Rich839

Thanks for what is undoubtedly great advice under other circumstances. It turns out that i had not upgraded to the new iMovie issue that came out last November. When i loaded MacOS 14.4.1 recently, my problem apparently stsrted.

As soon as I loaded the current iMovie app, all was well.

Thanks for your suggestions, though!

[Edited by Moderator]

Unable to transfer iMovie project stuck on "Export File"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.