Issue sorting media files by creation date in final cut pro.

I just got my first ever macbook and final cut pro. I am trying to get into the swing of making videos with the mac instead of my windows pc with power director. The issue I have run into is that final cut pro is not sorting all of my clips correctly, I need them in order for editing. I use trail cameras so I sort by date and time in ascending order. I set FCP to group by "Content Created" and sort by "Content Created" I would say 70% of the clips are in order while the rest are days off.

I decided to look at what FCP thinks the medias "Content Created" date is. It thinks when I imported the media is when it was created. However, if I look in Finder, where I grabbed my media (I also tried importing through FCP) the correct "Date Modified" dates are there. Is there a way to sort by "Date Modified" or fix what FCP thinks is the "Content Created" date?

Also, "Last Modified" dates are the same as "Content Created".

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 2, 2024 9:44 PM

8 replies

May 3, 2024 3:28 AM in response to vinny65

I would say 70% of the clips are in order while the rest are days off.

What does holiday mean? Please explain in detail what is the difference from 70%.

Is there a way to sort by "Date Modified" or fix what FCP thinks is the "Content Created" date?

Finder modification date = FCP content creation date. *Copying media to the library does not change the content creation date.

If the date and time are different:

1. Select media in your browser.
  2. Menu: Change: Adjust content creation date and time. *Be sure to back up your library and media. Please test with a copy in advance.

May 3, 2024 5:48 PM in response to vinny65

I also backup the files on OneDrive when I retrieve the footage. I tried importing from there to FCP, did not change anything.

Q: If arranged in chronological order, is it in the following order?

1. Camera recording date of DSCF0001.mov: February 15th.
  2. Copy from camera to hard drive. File change date: February 15th
  3. Copy from hard drive (from camera?) to OneDrive. File change date: May 2nd
  4. Import from OneDrive to FCP. Content creation date: FCP was displayed as May 2nd.

Would changing the date not change all selected clips to the same date?

As I have already written, please test with a copy in advance.

--

I am Japanese and English is not my native language. Since we are using a translation function, "day off" will only be translated as a holiday. I would like you to write in simple English.

May 3, 2024 2:46 PM in response to LocaAlicia

This is the media in final cut pro and in finder below. Content created date is indeed different for whatever reason than date modified in finder.

I never said "holiday" so I have no idea what you mean. I will try to explain what I said, a large portion of the media I imported to FCP was organized correctly only because it changed the content created date accordingly... while other media, the approximately 30% was days off.

I found the tool you suggested to adjust date and time. However, I would lose my mind if I adjusted every media clip I have, it would be thousands of clips. I do not understand how this is even an issue I have run across.

May 3, 2024 6:34 AM in response to vinny65

I tested this a year ago by checking the metadata dates with exiftool. FCP 10.6.6 displays imported movie dates in this order in its "Content Created" column if one or all of them exist (...I did not test if GPS locations or timezones might intervene like they do in images...):

1. Keys:CreationDate (.mp4, .m4v, .mov)

2. UserData:DateTimeOriginal (.m4v)

3. QuickTime:CreateDate (.m4v)

4. MacOS:FileCreateDate (.mp4, .m4v, .mov)

May 3, 2024 7:03 PM in response to vinny65

I run into this issue in the opposite direction when working with AVCHD files from a Sony camera that have been run through EditReady. I set the modification date to the creation date using GetFileInfo and SetFile.

This gets the creation date of the file and then sets the modification date to that creation date.

#!/bin/bash
for i in *.mov
        do
                created=`/usr/bin/GetFileInfo -d "$i"`;
                /usr/bin/SetFile -m "$created" "$i";
        done

You could try swapping it around and set the creation date to the modification date. I did some simple tests and it appears to work. The backticks ` are needed.

#!/bin/bash
for i in *.mov
        do
                modified=`/usr/bin/GetFileInfo -m "$i"`;
                /usr/bin/SetFile -d "$modified" "$i";
        done

Only run this on a duplicate backup media folder!

Issue sorting media files by creation date in final cut pro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.