Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

macbook software update failing and i am going insane

Hi,for the past 2 days i ve been going crazy over this problem i am having with my mackbook air, i recntly got a 2019 13 inch model and i basically factory reset it wyping the disk and reinstalling os,it booted in mac os mohave 10.14.6 and ive been trying evr since to update it to sonoma but each time the download is doneand it says the mac is about to reboot to install it screen may turn off up to a min it does not ,it just goes black for a second and then boots back into mojave without even a failed to install promt,it just acts like nothing happened and then ask to install it again. At this point i ve checke for evrything, i dont have antivirus or storage problems since essentially it s a blank mackbook without any apps ,i tried to install a combo update after realising that i have a security update for 10.14.6 that does almost the same thing but this time i do get a promt that an error occured and it sends me to disk startup to boot it again but it didnt work,i tried updating to a previous version like big sur hoping it was too big of a leap and that even tho evrywere i checked it said its compatible maybe it was not but nope exact same thing as sonoma i cnt boot it from a usb cuz i only have usb c ports(idiotic design from apple) i dont know what else to do it seems like no one had on the entire the same prob so i am here after the 12 th try hoping somebody has a fix.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on May 3, 2024 5:44 AM

2 replies

May 4, 2024 8:10 AM in response to maxintosh245

maxintosh245 wrote:

i reinstalled the os from recovery mode like twice and still nothing changed, i tried safe mode, the same thing i never post the problems i have online looking for fixes cuz i usually am able to fix it myself but i just cnt find any explanation for this

Part 1 of 3

The Age of this computer will Govern what newer version of macOS it will Qualify to install. 

Use About this Mac from the Apple Icon on Desktop - the required Information will be there.

Does this computer appear as Listed and qualifying for an upGrade to a newer version of macOS ?

macOS Sonoma is compatible with these computers

Computer Qualifying for macOS 13 Ventura 

Computer Qualify for the Monterey upgrade

macOS Big Sur 11 hardware requirements

macOS Catalina 10.15 hardware requirements

Part 2 of 3

This method will WIPE ALL Data and there is No DATA Recovery - Period.

>> Only works on Intel Based Apple Computer <<

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

The Bootable Installer can Only be performed on an Apple Computer 

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer.

Notation: If the computer being used to perform this action is Too New or Too Old to qualify to run the version of macOS - this computer can’t be used.

Alternative is, to gain access to a Qualifying Apple Computer from a family member, friend or associate.

Part 3 of 3

Shutdown computer and disconnect all external drive Except the newly created Bootable Installer.

Restart and immediately hold the OPTION key until the Startup Manager appears and choose the USB Drive. 

It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

The drive normally is called Apple Media or Apple SSD - that is the drive to Erase and format as APFS with the GUID Partition Map. This applies to macOS 10.14 Mojave and above. 

Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS. 

Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. 

Always make a Time Machine Backup  before  attempting the above

macbook software update failing and i am going insane

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.