Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Mac Mail moving huge quantities of messages around after I set up a few rules

I set up a few rules to tidy up my inbox. Now Mac mail seems to be moving about huge quantities of emails and moving a steadil increasing amount into the "on my Mac" bin, including many from the last few years it would be useful to keep. I've turned off all the rules that have conditional rules to send emails from specific senders to the bin. It's pretty concerning. Any way to stop this and even better reverse it?

I'm on an M23 2022 macbook air running ventura 13.2.1

Many thanks

Phil

MacBook Air, macOS 13.2

Posted on May 3, 2024 5:47 AM

3 replies

May 4, 2024 1:58 AM in response to MyneddyGaer

Thanks both. I called apple support in the end and shared my screen with them. They couldn't fully explain what they were seeing but we deleted the rules and removed my icloud and gmail and then reistalled and after a lengthy downloading of many thousands of historic emails it settled down.

I currently have three archived mbox open on my computer as having to dredge thru them for a planning case and I think just the sheer volume of emails (20,000 or so) is

maybe part of the issue.

Mac Mail moving huge quantities of messages around after I set up a few rules

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.