Apple Pay showing incorrect merchant on bank statement

We are intermittently running into an issue where Apple Pay is not showing the statement descriptor we pass to it from our payment processor, which is causing confusion for our customers. Apple Pay seems to be randomly choosing related merchants or merchants close in proximity to show on the bank statement.

Is there anything we can do to have Apple Pay always show the descriptor we pass to it from our payment processor?

Posted on May 3, 2024 12:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2024 3:16 PM

I am a retail customer frequently using Apple Pay to purchase merchandise from a local merchant. For this merchant, I always (without exception) encounter the same behavior you’re reporting - it appears on my statement as associated with a nearby store selling an entirely different category of merchandise. Each purchase shown in the Wallet app has a corresponding “Report Incorrect Merchant Info” line. I have taken the time and trouble to report this issue on dozens of these transactions. There has been no change, and I have given up hope.

UPDATE: Having just seen Jeff Donald’s post, I should add that I have used both Apple Card and a Chase card, reported the issue in both circumstances, and seen no change. I do agree the statement from the issuer does show the correct vendor - it’s only the Wallet reference that’s incorrect.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2024 3:16 PM in response to Build_24

I am a retail customer frequently using Apple Pay to purchase merchandise from a local merchant. For this merchant, I always (without exception) encounter the same behavior you’re reporting - it appears on my statement as associated with a nearby store selling an entirely different category of merchandise. Each purchase shown in the Wallet app has a corresponding “Report Incorrect Merchant Info” line. I have taken the time and trouble to report this issue on dozens of these transactions. There has been no change, and I have given up hope.

UPDATE: Having just seen Jeff Donald’s post, I should add that I have used both Apple Card and a Chase card, reported the issue in both circumstances, and seen no change. I do agree the statement from the issuer does show the correct vendor - it’s only the Wallet reference that’s incorrect.

May 3, 2024 3:04 PM in response to Build_24

The issuing bank controls the information shared to iPhones (Apple Pay devices). Apple (Apple Pay) can display only what banks share. In some cases the bank only shares GPS data. Other issuing banks may share more information.

I was the director of a nonprofit and we processed credit cards using PayPal and Block (Square) and many of the sales showed a dermatologist next door as the business. He sometimes had the same issue. The statement from the issuer will show correctly as will the receipt you issue.

Apple Pay showing incorrect merchant on bank statement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.