Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

MacBook Air will not recognize external ssd drive

I have an external ssd drive that I used for 2 years with my MacBook Pro. When that computer died and I switched to a MacBook air, it no longer recognizes the drive, and gives the helpful solution advice: reformat the drive and lose my 1 terabyte of pictures.

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on May 3, 2024 1:10 PM

7 replies

May 3, 2024 8:02 PM in response to Mcsluggo

Since your new Mac is an Apple-Silicon-based Mac notebook, it may be blocking accessories to which you haven't given permission.

If your Mac asks you to allow an accessory to connect - Apple Support

Allow accessories to connect to Mac - Apple Support

I doubt if this is the problem based on the statement that the computer is suggesting that you reformat the drive. I don't think it would get to that point unless you had already permitted a data connection.

May 3, 2024 7:58 PM in response to Libby101a

Libby101a wrote:

If it works with windows and Android devices that means it's formatted for X Fat and not APFS for your Mac. You would need to reformat it to work with macOS.

macOS can read from, and write to, exFAT-formatted volumes, out of the box. If you were planning on using a drive mostly or exclusively with Macs, you might prefer to format it using APFS or HFS+, but having the volume being an exFAT one wouldn't keep it from working properly in the Finder.

macOS can also read from NTFS volumes (though it cannot write to them with the aid of third-party filesystem drivers).

That suggests that if this drive is completely unreadable, there is more than just exFAT or NTFS formatting going on.

MacBook Air will not recognize external ssd drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.